You failed your test for....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
...nearly taking out the cyclist on the roundabout this afternoon.

I was a little p1ssed off that the instructor wasn't berating the hapless youth for nearly beasting his insurance policy, but then I saw a clipboard, and what was possibly a very large 'X' being inscribed. I'm still not hugely impressed that the examiner chose not to stamp on the dual-controls.

Shook me up a bit, because I've had nothing for months. It looked like he was going to stop, then misjudged my approach and floored it, as much as you can floor a Fiesta with a dirty great big 'L' on the roof.

I had a driving instructor cut me up at a central island.... although I got the number I was "too shaken" to see the large sign on the roof, so had to email all the local driving schools asking if it was their vehicle and expressing my concerns.

Surprising how many were willing to forward my emails, and / or point me to the right school!

Dan B

Disengaged member
Bollo said:
...nearly taking out the cyclist on the roundabout this afternoon.

I was a little p1ssed off that the instructor wasn't berating the hapless youth for nearly beasting his insurance policy, but then I saw a clipboard, and what was possibly a very large 'X' being inscribed. I'm still not hugely impressed that the examiner chose not to stamp on the dual-controls.
Not clear here: was it a lesson or a test? I can imagine an examiner is less likely than an instructor to go for the dual controls

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Examiner. You're right that an examiner will only go for the duals in an emergency, but I think the youth's late change of mind at the roundabout took him a little by surprise judging by the look on his face. In fairness he gave a little apologetic wave as we parted ways.

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
marinyork said:
A letter to the local test centre about the competence of their examiners going off in the post?

I'm not going to sweat it. The delayed entry of another 17 year old on to the country's roads is work enough for one day.

D4VOW

If he'd actually took you out he would have probably received a bonus and had all previous minor faults rubbed out and got an automatic pass

Joe

Über Member
D4VOW said:
If he'd actually took you out he would have probably received a bonus and had all previous minor faults rubbed out and got an automatic pass
In Preston during my LEJOG I had a driving instructor lean out of his window (whilst teaching) and shout at me to get in the cycle path:rolleyes:

GrasB

Veteran
I failed my 1st test because I held back to let a cyclist through a narrowing of the road first, it was touch or go if I was going to arrive there at before or at the same time as the cyclist. I also didn't feel comfortable overtaking the cyclist for the 150m of this narrowing & as soon as possible passed. My examiner said I should have taken my right of way as a motorist (hu? show me the HWC page &/or legal precedent for this please) & that the cyclist should get out of my way. I raised a complaint about this & got a free test, in which I passed.

Bristol Dave

I regularly meet a BSM instructor who, I think, has just dropped off a pupil and is on his way to the next lesson. Our meeting is in a narrow road and he always drives at me and forces me to make way ... expect for this Monday when I refused to move and he had to stop. Next time I see him I'll take his number and complain to BSM.

BD

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Bollo said:
It looked like he was going to stop, then misjudged my approach and floored it, as much as you can floor a Fiesta with a dirty great big 'L' on the roof.

Bad luck mate! These things have a habit of happening at the worst possible time!

Anyway, as you drive more, you'll get more experience. My rule is, "If someone looks like they might be about to do something stupid, then they probably are!".

Good luck on your next test; I am sure you'll find it much easier (I passed on my second attempt!).

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
GrasB said:
I failed my 1st test because I held back to let a cyclist through a narrowing of the road first, it was touch or go if I was going to arrive there at before or at the same time as the cyclist. I also didn't feel comfortable overtaking the cyclist for the 150m of this narrowing & as soon as possible passed. My examiner said I should have taken my right of way as a motorist (hu? show me the HWC page &/or legal precedent for this please) & that the cyclist should get out of my way. I raised a complaint about this & got a free test, in which I passed.

Well done for complaining!!! And clearly good driving, better than the examiner's, it would seem.

Top Bottom