You have got to fly the flag and have tea on tap when riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old timer

Über Member
Thought I`d share an image taken in the early days of my Powertrek just for a laugh.

Dave
125970476.ZsI2vzoC.jpg

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
What no electric kettle??

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Be careful where you ride or some people may mistake you for a member of the far right.

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
I found that flag in the road, can`t remember the celebration but nearly every car had a flag hanging out of the window and this one obviously blew away so I picked it up ^_^ suppose it was stealing by finding :ohmy: even with a transverter I don`t think my battery would have boiled an electric kettle.
Dave

classic33

Leg End Member
I found that flag in the road, can`t remember the celebration but nearly every car had a flag hanging out of the window and this one obviously blew away so I picked it up ^_^ suppose it was stealing by finding :ohmy: even with a transverter I don`t think my battery would have boiled an electric kettle.
Dave
Around 20 - 30 minutes to do the same job as plugging the kettle into the mains. An older style, large element, kettle would be quicker than a modern jug kettle with a smaller element.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Dave
Stealing by finding?
Sorry, I am from the States.

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
good explanation, It was actually in the road in the lane outside my house so I did stick it in the hedge just incase it was a local kids but the guy next door told me it had fallen from a passing car so after a week I removed it. Out of interest someone put a very good bike over my field gates, I chained it up to prevent it being stolen( poss for the second time) in the end after a couple of weeks I phoned the local police station and was told that a van would come out to pick it up. When the guy arrived he was rude to say the least and wondered why I had bothered phoning and bothering them :ohmy: I couldn`t believe my ears and told him that there was a better chance of the rightful owner getting it back if it was logged with the police. I reckon it had been stolen from the local town about 5 miles away by somebody who didn`t want to walk home (one bus per week in our village)
Years ago I was a bus conductor for a while and found a roll of notes( 200 quid) on a seat in the bus, I informed the driver to stop at the bus depot as we passed so that I could hand it in to the counter staff because the person who lost it would be worried. (we are talking 1963 so that was a lot of money in those days) we were running late and as I got off of the bus I was greeted by a very irate man who was complaining that we were running late and he had been waiting for us as he more or less knew where he had lost it. So I refused to hand it over and he would have to prove to the counter staff that it was his. He offered me a few swear words and stormed into the depot. Makes you wonder if it`s all worth while sometimes.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I think the bar for abandonment of property is quite a bit lower over here. It's just considered good behavior to turn in some things that are found, if found on the property of another, like a store or such. I once found $50.00 in a store, and my parents had me turn it in, which was good, because it was someone's grocery money. They never came back for it, though, so the money was given to me. This was 45 years ago, though. Current behavioral standards and inflation would make one less likely to go to the trouble now. I would, but I'm unsure others would. I think I used part of the money to buy my nephew a used bike, as he was using a stick and the undercarriage from an old pram as his means of recreational transportation.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
good explanation, It was actually in the road in the lane outside my house so I did stick it in the hedge just incase it was a local kids but the guy next door told me it had fallen from a passing car so after a week I removed it. Out of interest someone put a very good bike over my field gates, I chained it up to prevent it being stolen( poss for the second time) in the end after a couple of weeks I phoned the local police station and was told that a van would come out to pick it up. When the guy arrived he was rude to say the least and wondered why I had bothered phoning and bothering them :ohmy: I couldn`t believe my ears and told him that there was a better chance of the rightful owner getting it back if it was logged with the police. I reckon it had been stolen from the local town about 5 miles away by somebody who didn`t want to walk home (one bus per week in our village)
Years ago I was a bus conductor for a while and found a roll of notes( 200 quid) on a seat in the bus, I informed the driver to stop at the bus depot as we passed so that I could hand it in to the counter staff because the person who lost it would be worried. (we are talking 1963 so that was a lot of money in those days) we were running late and as I got off of the bus I was greeted by a very irate man who was complaining that we were running late and he had been waiting for us as he more or less knew where he had lost it. So I refused to hand it over and he would have to prove to the counter staff that it was his. He offered me a few swear words and stormed into the depot. Makes you wonder if it`s all worth while sometimes.
I drive a shuttle bus, in the States, and I once found 8 rupees in my bus. Although it sits on the dash where some lost and found items are, no one has yet claimed it.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I used to see quite a few bikes, 200 or so, come up at the police auction every year, people didn't even file a police report or a claim of property stolen. There would be frenzied bidding on the new bikes, all shiny and bright, but the old ones, much more valuable, would go for next to nothing, in remainder lots after everyone had bid for choice. When I was flipping bikes, I would often leave with a truck load of bicycles for the princely sum of $20 to $40 US. Now. most of these bikes go through the co-op, if not claimed. Admittedly, there are a lot of crappy bikes in the States.

Top Bottom