You have the "Pulse and Heart Rate of an athlete!"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zoxed

Über Member
..I think I should probably get a medical bracelet made with my RHR engraved on it. I don't want a paramedic zapping my heart if I get knocked out in some minor accident and they think my heart is packing up!

Interesting point that, I never thought about it (my complete resting pulse is around 43/45).

Anyone with medical / first aid experience care to comment on how a paramedic would interpret a low heart rate (say 35-50bpm) ?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
In combination with a blood pressure measurement and a short period of observation they would likely deduce either that your HR is fine, or at the very least stable, which is enough for them to deal with you and get you to hospital where more thorough investigations will be carried out.

AhThisFeckinThing

I'm glad I saw this, I feel a bit better now. Last march I was diagnosed with a chronic liver condition (Not through alcohol, weight, smoking. "I'm afraid your one of the unlucky ones"). I was told to exercise. I hadn't done in years, which is probably why I got the condition. My pulse at the start was 72. After loads of commuting and about 2750 miles in, I have virtually cured myself (Big relief). My pulse though is 51, I know its nowhere near the lowest but its quite a bit for me. I don't feel too bothered and it is reassuring to think I now have a stronger heart etc. But checking on a health website (C4). It also mentioned dizziness. The odd time when I get up of the sofa, its a bit quick and I get that dizzy feeling. I never get it anywhere else, even when exhausted on the bike. Does this sound fairly normal for a freak like moi :blush:javascript:void(0);

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
I'm glad I saw this, I feel a bit better now. Last march I was diagnosed with a chronic liver condition (Not through alcohol, weight, smoking. "I'm afraid your one of the unlucky ones"). I was told to exercise. I hadn't done in years, which is probably why I got the condition. My pulse at the start was 72. After loads of commuting and about 2750 miles in, I have virtually cured myself (Big relief). My pulse though is 51, I know its nowhere near the lowest but its quite a bit for me. I don't feel too bothered and it is reassuring to think I now have a stronger heart etc. But checking on a health website (C4). It also mentioned dizziness. The odd time when I get up of the sofa, its a bit quick and I get that dizzy feeling. I never get it anywhere else, even when exhausted on the bike. Does this sound fairly normal for a freak like moi :blush:

I get it all the time now TBH

Garz

Squat Member
Ahh big C to the rescue with his fountain of knowledge!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
When I went to get my asthma inhalers replaced the Sri Lankan quack insisted on taking my blood pressure and pulse. Twice. He solemnly intoned Gaz's phrase "You have the heart rate and blood pressure of an athlete" he then leant forward and prodded me in the tummy "but I am thinking you have the spare tyre of a Mr Michelin."

My how we larfed.

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
When I went to get my asthma inhalers replaced the Sri Lankan quack insisted on taking my blood pressure and pulse. Twice. He solemnly intoned Gaz's phrase "You have the heart rate and blood pressure of an athlete" he then leant forward and prodded me in the tummy "but I am thinking you have the spare tyre of a Mr Michelin."

My how we larfed.

GPs are usually so serious. It's always "you got", "you've got x months to live", or "how long's that been there?" I wish more would be willing with witty, off-the-cuff one liners! I'd go more often!

Davidc

Guru
I've had low BP for as long as it's been measured, and the dizzyness when standing up etc. is a typical consequence. I can also get that when I stop exercising suddenly, which causes a dip in BP. Trafic lights at the top of a hill are a good place for that.

Despite it being well documented on my medical notes it still causes surprise among nurses and others that someone with CHD and a few other things has low BP and below average RHR. The response, apart from a couple of people who I see regularly, is always "but people with your conditions always have high BP and RHR".

As far as I can work out the issue is really that the majority of the population is unfit and lacking exercise, so that the typical measurements that medical people see are in fact those of people who are only healthy in the sense that their poor physical state hasn't damaged them yet!

It was made very clear to me 3 years ago that the reason I was alive and reasonably well was that I was much fitter and stronger than most of the population (and that's down to cycling and little else!) which only says to me that most people are in very poor shape, because by my standards I was unfit and out of condition at the time.

To all those above whose BP, RHR etc. are below average I'd say good on you - you're the ones whose bodies are the way they should be, not the rest of the sample making up the average, and if you have heart or other problems you're likely to be much better off than the sedentary, inactive, and unfit majority would be with the same problems! (Unless of course the paramedic tries to defibrillate you, as ColinJ fears!).

2old2care

Über Member
While in hospital with my leg in plaster from the ankle to my crotch, the nurse took my blood pressure and heart rate, my heart rate was 48 and my blood pressure was 200 over 97!! she turned round to look at me in disbelief, and I just smiled!!! :biggrin:
Four years later a lot unfitter and being treated for high blood pressure my gp took my bp and hr, my hr was 52 and my bp 115/75, was my high bp keeping my hr low???

vickster

Legendary Member
I have low BP (run around 100/70), used to be normal-high when I smoked, was much fatter and did no exercise :rolleyes: However, then I had no symptoms, now I get dizzy almost every time I stand up. Very annoying and confuses my colleagues when I grab hold of a piece of furniture! Had lots of blood tests, everything else is normal. And it's not like I am not still overweight and somewhat unfit! My GP says basically it is just low for my size, hence the symptoms!

Nothing can be done except stay hydrated and stand up slowly, I have also switched from Cheese & Onion to Ready Salted :tongue:

Top Bottom