"you ride here"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
thomas said:
More towards where they can just put their foot down and run you over? :tongue:

I said in traffic (I meant stopped in traffic)- where's he going to go - not directly forward? If he's going to go into the opposing lane (assuming there's no oncoming traffic), you're going to get plenty of warning as he's going to be turning the steering wheel hard, or will have to reverse first! If you're forwards and away you've got time get out of the way.

I'd never have words with a driver whilst moving and to his offside.

stowie

Legendary Member
Bollo said:
He might have given you room when he did overtake, but I don't think the drivers coming the other way would have been hugely impressed with him. And surprise, surprise, the overtake got him ......errrr.....nowhere.

I've reduced the amount of 'afters' I have with drivers, particularly over the past year or so. It's not so much out of fear of reprisals as that the interactions are rarely an uplifting and rewarding experience.

I rarely bother to remonstrate with drivers any longer. That tw@t in the van was thwarted in the first appalling decision to overtake, and had then decided to overtake no matter what.

Drivers like this will only respond to fines and police action, they won't listen to any reason, although in the heat of the moment, it is difficult not to be vocal with them.

If I do anything these days, I shake my head sadly and wag my finger slowly as I cycle past a driver stuck in traffic who has been stupid. Doesn't help, but it is awfully patronising and makes me chuckle.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
This driver has clearly acted out of ignorance and frustration of some sort. I dont know if a Police intervention would work here. If he has an employers details on the side a polite letter would be better, explaining the circumstances and how you were unaware there was anykind of problem.

I too rarely interact with bad drivers if I can help it. If anything it makes me feel like I want to thrash them and gets me nowhere. In someways using youtube for the little "educational" videos has been a little relief, as has talking here and on other forums.

Cab

downfader said:
This driver has clearly acted out of ignorance and frustration of some sort. I dont know if a Police intervention would work here. If he has an employers details on the side a polite letter would be better, explaining the circumstances and how you were unaware there was anykind of problem.

He's created conflict on the road through being impatient, its potentially dangerous to do so. The purpose of having a points system on licesnses is that if people keep doing the same kind of dangerous thing they lose driving privileges. Its

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Origamist said:
That Contour is nice, Gaz. I thought some of your earlier vids looked a bit underexposed, but that clip looked better.

I was fiddling with exposure and contrast settings on my earlier videos and thus they weren't so good, but i think they are near spot on now.

downfader said:
I too rarely interact with bad drivers if I can help it. If anything it makes me feel like I want to thrash them and gets me nowhere. In someways using youtube for the little "educational" videos has been a little relief, as has talking here and on other forums.

Often i just shout 'Oi' and then when they are looking at me i point to my eyes and shout 'look' doesn't get more simple than that but this seamed like a special case.

potsy

Rambler
gaz said:
Often i just shout 'Oi' and then when they are looking at me i point to my eyes and shout 'look' doesn't get more simple than that but this seamed like a special case.
I had a big 'Oi' moment on way home tonight.Woman turned right across me into a petrol station how she never saw 2 Hope's coming towards her amazes me,didn't even apologise the dozy cow:angry:
Great camera that gaz may have to invest when I'm next spending some money.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
1 - Do those lines in the middle of the road not mean "No Overtaking" ?

2 - The car which passes just after the overtake shouldn't have been very impressed

3 - I think his "This Place is for you" refers to his passenger seat and he wanted to give you a lift :sad:

Another who gives WVM a bad name :tongue:

Why did you not respond to the driver's apology?

The poor fishmonger was only trying to give you a plaice to take home for tea, by way of saying sorry. Yet you ignored him? How rude.

Will1985

Über Member
He needs to get some lessons in driving in the UK. It's funny how drivers think cyclists should be on the pavements while the peds want POBs off it.

On my many trips on the A14 and around Norfolk, I've seen a lot of Eastern European cars who have little regard for the rules of the road. It is a travesty that people from places like Australia must get a UK driving licence after 12 months while an "EU national" can use their own country's until they are 65.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That road is terribly narrow with the no overtake chevrons...... never mind parked cars.. should be double yellow.........

"You...over there......"...nope "You stuck in traffic ta taa..........." ;)

scoosh said:
1 - Do those lines in the middle of the road not mean "No Overtaking" ?

They are broken lines (solid would mean don't enter). They are just there to emphasise the separation in the traffic to help the hard-of-steering. You should keep out of the hatched area unless you need to overtake or turn right.

I've had a lot of this recently this year..I blew the horn on a black cab driver who pulled in on me and he decided to stop...so we had a chat.Ended up with "How much space do you want then?...To which I replied "Lots"...

People really are stupid...as proved by the driving in that clip and also what crap I have suffered out on the road this year.good on you gaz.

Top Bottom