You Said Thanks & Smiled (Gifts) Then Scratched Your Head

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doc333

Knight Of The Realm & All Around Good Guy
As a mid-fifties bloke who's only just decided to cycle, it seems everyone thought they knew what to buy me for Xmas. So cycling was the theme this year and I don't want to upset anyone but wondering how I can get away with not using some of this stuff. Anyone else have gifts that they wished they hadn't got?

1) My wife took great pleasure in presenting me with a framed map, which was personalised with my name and a bike and is the route I first took when I got my bike a few weeks ago. Its even called the Betley loop. You have to say it was a nice thought and well researched and have to say that is a nice gift.

2) A Helley Hanson jacket which she thought would be great for cycling. No chance it will be like wearing a sail.

3) A nice hip flask for my pack. Wrong as I'm trying to keep weight down and don't intend doing anything longer than 20-miles for now, so don't need to go on the lash yet,

4) A Rapha cap in red and a Rapha cap in green. Fantastic quality kit and will keep my ears warm too. Great gifts.

5) Some Rapha trousers with a double thickness backside in different colour. Fantastic quality trousers and something even a mid-fifties guy could wear instead of tights. The trousers can be turned up and have florescent piping and RAPHA logo than van be seen in gloom

6) A Rapha crossover jacket which is fantastic quality again and something I can wear on my bike instead of my Endura waterproof top (When its not raining) Lightweight but feels and looks really warm.

Some good, bad and ugly in that list, but some thought went into it all and I'm pleased with plenty of it and will try and use it all.

Merry Xmas to all, I'm about to mount up and attempt to complete my first 20-mile ride but if I only get 13 done I'll still be happy

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
They are all good
1. Great bit of thought to get that done
2. Wear it whilst pottering round the shed in preparation or when you get back
3. I would be dipping into that flask after 2 miles never mind 20. and the weight of a hip flask is not going to be noticeable i would have thought
4-6 . Better than slippers

OP
OP
Doc333

Doc333

Knight Of The Realm & All Around Good Guy
Just got back from my longest ride yet, a whopping 15 miles averaging 11.5. So well chuffed and getting there. That's my 10th ride so far and I have still to reach my 20-mile goal, but I'm feeling fitter and really, really enjoying it. I have now got another present which is a nice bone china cup with pictures of bikes all over it stating 'learn to ride'. Got to laugh.

Anyway if any of you see this old bloke who looks the biz, just think 'all the gear and no idea'.

Cheers:whistle:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
As a mid-fifties bloke who's only just decided to cycle, it seems everyone thought they knew what to buy me for Xmas. So cycling was the theme this year and I don't want to upset anyone but wondering how I can get away with not using some of this stuff. Anyone else have gifts that they wished they hadn't got?

2) A Helley Hanson jacket which she thought would be great for cycling. No chance it will be like wearing a sail.
Merry Xmas to all, I'm about to mount up and attempt to complete my first 20-mile ride but if I only get 13 done I'll still be happy

Quite expensive, have you the receipt and then you can exchange it for a nice cycling jacket. Then again, you could get a dog and use it for walking in ^_^

Ian193

Über Member
Just got back from my longest ride yet, a whopping 15 miles averaging 11.5. So well chuffed and getting there. That's my 10th ride so far and I have still to reach my 20-mile goal, but I'm feeling fitter and really, really enjoying it. I have now got another present which is a nice bone china cup with pictures of bikes all over it stating 'learn to ride'. Got to laugh.

Anyway if any of you see this old bloke who looks the biz, just think 'all the gear and no idea'.

Cheers:whistle:

Wish I had time for 15 miles today but the weather has been bad round here and I hate getting wet feet (a lot of roads are flooded )

Dave the Smeghead

Über Member
Wish I had got some of that kit! All I got cycling related was a mug (which is very nice), and the rest was standard Christmas fare. Got some nice hand turned wooden pens though.

Looking forward to getting a ride in tomorrow - thinking about a 25 miler.

gelfy666

Über Member
im not ungrateful but i got 1 of these off my parents.

Attachments

• main-stopcock-longkey-1.jpg
    main-stopcock-longkey-1.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 54

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
got some nice warm gloves and cycling socks many thanks for them

buggi

Bird Saviour
Erm.... I'm a bit confused. :scratch:

Can someone enlighten me to where the bad and the ugly is in that list that probably cost around £500?? If you don't like it say it doesn't fit and get something off Rapha that is more your style (swap the trooosers for tights).

2nd thoughts, if you don't like it, send it back to Rapha and get a refund and give your relatives their money back. You sound really ungrateful for what basically is the Armani of cycling gear.

Edit... Hang on a minute... as you are a guy who's just decided to take up cycling, it has occurred to me you might not know what the Rapha brand is. Google it.

Top Bottom