You Tube.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
The North Coast 500 was a well kept secret until a few years ago. I've done it a couple of times by motorbike, but that was a long time before it became popular. Now, apparently, you cannot get accommodation for anything less than stupid money anywhere near the route, and the route itself - much of which is on single track roads - is clogged with clueless drivers who have no concept of driving in rural areas. It has very much become a victim of it's own success.

There are several routes in and around Scotland which are still a pleasure to cycle/ride/drive, but for obvious reasons I will be keeping them to myself! All I will say is don't be blinded by the "head for the highlands" mindset. There is much to be seen a lot closer to the border.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Aye,
the country is an utter midden, I wouldn't waste my time heading north of the border, midges and it always '@Brandane s' every day. Food is horrendous all deep fried and washed down with tonic wine...
The NW 500 was a tremendous marketing ploy and is on its day nice but local businesses have cottoned on.
Like I said avoid the rest of the country, nothing to see here;)
plus we are a surly lot towards sassenachs^_^

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Found this on Reddit last night...
second paragraph mentions Postman..
something were not being told?:laugh:

nc500.jpg

mustang1

Guru
I could not find this NC500 you talk of so I put my Map of London away and entrusted google. To my shock and horror, there is actually land north of Cambridge. I always thought that's where the North Sea starts. Anyway, now I'm looking for rides south of London (notice I said south OF London, and NOT SOUTH London.
:smile: Just kidding of course, everyone knows The North Sea is just a made up hoax. :smile:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Cambridge? Is that not a made up place to scare the children of Oxford graduates that they may get sent there if they don't work harder at school.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Oxford and Cambridge are just names that I associate with 60's rust buckets made by work shy English people who went on to become part of that other great car maker - British Leyland :ohmy:.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I always thought that the North started at Watford:ohmy:. I have ventured over the border a few times since then. The midges come out sometime in April and attack any person not from Scotland with a vengeance bordering on revenge for past histories.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
The North Coast 500 was a well kept secret until a few years ago. I've done it a couple of times by motorbike, but that was a long time before it became popular. Now, apparently, you cannot get accommodation for anything less than stupid money anywhere near the route, and the route itself - much of which is on single track roads - is clogged with clueless drivers who have no concept of driving in rural areas. It has very much become a victim of it's own success.

There are several routes in and around Scotland which are still a pleasure to cycle/ride/drive, but for obvious reasons I will be keeping them to myself! All I will say is don't be blinded by the "head for the highlands" mindset. There is much to be seen a lot closer to the border.
If you're booking hostels they aren't too bad, Last year I paid £22 or so for a dorm bed in Achmelvich but later decided on a B&B in Lochinver - £135! But, it was very much worth it, the room, food, breakfast etc were a highlight of the trip* :laugh:

Second only to lying in the outdoor jaquzzi for an hour at Mull Hotel/Spa^_^

OP
OP
postman

postman

Legendary Member
Aye,
the country is an utter midden, I wouldn't waste my time heading north of the border, midges and it always '@Brandane s' every day. Food is horrendous all deep fried and washed down with tonic wine...
The NW 500 was a tremendous marketing ploy and is on its day nice but local businesses have cottoned on.
Like I said avoid the rest of the country, nothing to see here;)
plus we are a surly lot towards sassenachs^_^
Yorkshire Dales is the same.can't for the life of me see what all the fuss is about.So take a tip from me.have a day out in London...

classic33

Leg End Member
Yorkshire Dales is the same.can't for the life of me see what all the fuss is about.So take a tip from me.have a day out in London...
They do odd things down there. You try and talk to them, or ask directions, and they'll cross the road to avoid/escape you.

As for walking anywhere, well...

Top Bottom