You tube

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I watch a lot of You tube videos , mostly about cycling and people living in Camper vans, and wonder if anyone on here actually post on You tube ? As I have a lot of spare time on my hands, I am wondering about how to get started: equipment needed, video software for editing and so on. I could turn it into a new hobby.

Just recently started doing vids and loading up on Youtube. My action camera is an Akaso V50x, sort of entry level I guess, but results are way better than I expected at the price point (about 60 quid). I use the Windows 10 built in Video Editor - quite basic, but all I need.
Here's an example of a recent ride video of the locale:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gFvdqdbK_A

It's a great new hobby, and no need to get expensive or complicated if only wanting to dip your toe :okay:

I watch a lot of You tube videos , mostly about cycling and people living in Camper vans, and wonder if anyone on here actually post on You tube ? As I have a lot of spare time on my hands, I am wondering about how to get started: equipment needed, video software for editing and so on. I could turn it into a new hobby.
I tried that after lockdown began. Mostly looking at YouTube tutorials. Here is the gear list.
  • Cameras - DJI Osmo action camera with bike mount and a SONY ZV.
  • iMovie comes free with apple mac for editing
  • You need hard drive to store your clips as they take up space. Get a SDD card fast, small but expensive.
  • Free music - https://www.bensound.com
  • Shoot in 1080 even if your camera has higher resolution up to 4k as it sucks time and storage and takes heaps to load on Youtube. 1080 is already clear
  • Setting up Youtube account was quite hurdle but doable. You can set it to private and provide links to friends or go public.
  • @FrankCrank is an ace. He is doing it the proper movies style way
    • He set up the camera to shoot as he takes the bike out.
    • Return to collect the camera and set it up facing the house showing him and the bike coming out.
    • Sets the camera in the 3rd position showing him cycling away.
    • Camera on bike mount for 4th position.
    • Lots of effort in multiple camera position and to join these during editing.
  • Lots of fun and learnt a lot.
Don't aim high. Aim to shoot a simple and complete movie of you cycling to the shops and back.

Joffey

Big Dosser
My Youtube content is poor! But I made the following little video cutting together footage of the TdY from ITV4, a GoPro Session 4 and my iPhone using iMovie on my MacBook (other laptops and software is available) - It is when the TdY passed my old house in North Yorkshire:

View: https://youtu.be/9Szyg7L8EAI

And then this is a really boring one of my first 10 mile TT was made with the same GoPro Session, iMovie but I added the data from my Garmin using Garmin Virb sorftware then imported it into iMovie. Sounds complicated but it's not... honest!!

View: https://youtu.be/a1UNxTztsmA

You don't need much kit and when you have a basic grasp of editing it together you can do quite a bit. Not that I have - I need to improve my skills!

D

Deleted member 1258

Just recently started doing vids and loading up on Youtube. My action camera is an Akaso V50x, sort of entry level I guess, but results are way better than I expected at the price point (about 60 quid). I use the Windows 10 built in Video Editor - quite basic, but all I need.
Here's an example of a recent ride video of the locale:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gFvdqdbK_A

It's a great new hobby, and no need to get expensive or complicated if only wanting to dip your toe :okay:

Where's the traffic?

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I put up a video on my kayak sail :smile:

View: https://youtu.be/yg6zPz1wPHg

alex_cycles

Veteran

I have a Youtube channel I use for work with about 16k subscribers and 3.2 million views. Nothing to do with cycling so I won't name it here.
I do have a second channel that I upload cycling videos to. Partly for fun and partly so there's somewhere to put the footage I share with the Police when someone is driving dangerously.

Perfectly happy to share this channel with no subscribers as I've never promoted it anywhere. :laugh: Here's a link https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCqyh8SXK_ceuGzW71E6T8g
Here's a vid of me going flat out on a 10-mile local segment...

View: https://youtu.be/Qguja7iPsmY

More recently I've started making videos of some of the top 100 hill climbs. Those should be publicly visible.

I've trialled a lot of different cameras, but yet to find anything as good as GoPro. I like the Hero session versions as they don't need an extra case. The stabilisation and image quality on other cameras is vastly inferior. Sadly, GoPros are damn expensive and the battery is only good for an hour or two.

For general video work I use "regular" video cameras. You can even use a phone. The important thing is to have a tripod (or gimbal) for static work or you'll look very amateurish. (Not much of an issue for bumpy ride footage though).

For editing - Final Cut Pro X. Very nice package if you have Mac and a spare couple of hundred quid - and lots of time to play about.

As far as earning money on YT is concerned, you need about 2 million views a week to make a decent living. My other channel has 3.2 million views over 8 years (maybe £100-150 a year - enough for extra equipment perhaps, but certainly not "profitable" in financial terms if you think about the equipment costs and time spent, but nice pocket money).

steverob

Guru
Here's a vid of me going flat out on a 10-mile local segment...

View: https://youtu.be/Qguja7iPsmY

Really like that video, although that may have something to do with the fact that I've been along all of those roads plenty of times. Never done that particular segment though according to Strava so I guess I've never put them together in a single ride before.

Was the camera attached to the bike or was it a chest mount? I've tried one on the bike before and while I'll admit it wasn't a GoPro, it wasn't a super cheap one either and was supposed to have some level of stabilisation, but the resulting footage was so juddery it was basically unwatchable.

alex_cycles

Veteran
Really like that video, although that may have something to do with the fact that I've been along all of those roads plenty of times. Never done that particular segment though according to Strava so I guess I've never put them together in a single ride before.

I created that segment about 18 months ago as something to do during lockdown 1 when we couldn't do any events. Not many people have done it "randomly" as it's perhaps not a very 'natural' route? I was pitching for 10 miles with no junctions, but that was about the best I could find. That ride took the KoM at the time, but one of my mates rerode it a few times and took it off me (you know what Strava's like - great bit weeing contest :laugh:).

Was the camera attached to the bike or was it a chest mount? I've tried one on the bike before and while I'll admit it wasn't a GoPro, it wasn't a super cheap one either and was supposed to have some level of stabilisation, but the resulting footage was so juddery it was basically unwatchable.

It's attached to my aero-bars with extra inner-tube on the mount to reduce wheel rumble and vibration. That also places it slightly further forward to avoid having the brifters in shot. I have tried quite a few different action cameras looking for the holy grail of "cheap as possible, good image quality, long battery life". But nothing else I've tried can touch the image stabilisation of the GoPros. I have an SJCAM C100+ which gives quite good image quality, colour and is quite inexpensive at around £50. Lovely little thing. But while it's OK as a "dashcam" for rides up to about 90 minutes, it's not much good for action footage as the stabilisation is pants :sad: (it will resolve a number plate perfectly well though).

Last edited:
Of late I watch more and more stuff on youtube, and try to observe how some of it's made. I think subconsciously I latch onto a particular style I've seen, and attempt to do something similar. One of the drivers for me was being isolated here due to covid - good to link a vid or two to family back in the UK. Also, been missing some of my favourite rides back there along the Thames and Kennet, so looking forward to capturing some of that next trip, hopefully Springtime. Like I say, recommend it as a great new hobby if you have the free time :okay:

Top Bottom