You'd better get used to it.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
:sad:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Road bikes won't get the wear and tear that the MTB's get. The 'old' MTB has a spare big chainring - these are hard to get as it's non-standard/out of production, same with my 2 x 10 MTB - chainring difficult to get.

Slick

Guru
I did get caught out with the shortages and it cost me a significant fall our with my LBS, although I suppose to be fair, the fact the boy they set on servicing my bike looked, sounded and acted about 13 years of age didn't help. I did manage to scrape together the parts required to allow my new favourite LBS to service my machine but thankfully I have now managed to release my final belongings out of storage and I'm now stocked out enough to open my own shop or at least remain reasonably stocked until this complete mess is sorted out. So, pretty much, I'm alright Jack. For now.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Road bikes won't get the wear and tear that the MTB's get. The 'old' MTB has a spare big chainring - these are hard to get as it's non-standard/out of production, same with my 2 x 10 MTB - chainring difficult to get.

Only if you stick with original manufacture. If you go for usual suspects third party chain ring suppliers then plenty available. Well plenty in stock anyway.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Only if you stick with original manufacture. If you go for usual suspects third party chain ring suppliers then plenty available. Well plenty in stock anyway.

Believe it or not there isn't for these particular rings - road bike no issue as they are 130 BCD, but 120BCD 42T 4 arm SRAM/Truvative, even BBB rings are rare. My Shimano is a M570 5 arm triple chainset - again really rare in 44T as most were 4 arm !

I have no idea why Shimano is so secretive about their factory locations. They go to the extent of hiding them as country subsidiaries. There are 2 in Japan. The oldest one outside Japan is in Singapore since 1973. They are going to build the latest high tech factory next to the existing plant in Singapore. There is full Shimano factory in one of the Indonesian Islands called Batam but it comes under Singapore. They have a 2 factories in Malaysia where most of mechs below Ultegra comes from. The same factory also builds Dura Ace carbon wheelsets. These are all bike factories not their fishing and other sport goods factories.

I also understand their factory tours for bikes manufacturers and principal dealers are done in semi clandestine manner.

I cannot locate any in Taiwan and China which seems odd.

Last edited:

dodgy

I cannot locate any in Taiwan and China which seems odd.

Shimano, as we know, is a Japanese company. Many in Japan view China in a negative light and this has translated into business decisions that have affected relations between the 2. That Shimano hasn't invested much if at all in China is no surprise when you think of these perceptions about China from a Japanese POV.

Last edited:
Top Bottom