Young cyclist (potential?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex11

I'm not sure whether you guys on here know, but I'm only 15. Just turned 15 a few weeks ago actually!

I love my cycling, and bicycles in general. I'm half Dutch and they love it! Cycling has always been part of life! If I've needed to get somewhere, I cycle. I probably ride almost everyday if not 4/5 times a week.But it isn't just as a mode of transport, I like fettling them, stripping them, restoring them too. Basically, I love it, the whole thing.

But recently, I've started going for rides on my road bike with friends and sometimes on my own, and I love every minute. It's great for pleasure and exercise and everything! But there is that little thing inside me telling me I could do something with this (talent)?? I can happily cycle 20 miles on roads averaging 16mph withouts stops and come back feeling absolutely fine, not tired or achy in any way. People always say to me, especially my family, aren't you tired from all that? I just don't feel it. Does that mean I've got special stuff inside me? Have I got the talent? I'm only just 15 after all. I really love sport, cycling and football especially, and I've been told I've got potential in both, but cycling is the one I'd really like to pursue.

What do you reckon guys? Is it just my mind telling me I'm the next Wiggo or Cav?
Or do I genuinely have a chance?

Thanks!!!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
you are 15, you have all the energy in the world. and of course you have talent. You just need to tap into it. But to be honest 20 miles @ 16mph although good, it's nothing special.

I do that speed & distance every morning on my commute to work and im 46.

Get yourself along to a road club and start getting some TT's in. Build up your strength, speed and stamina.

Here's a recent link to a 15 year old doing a 10 mile TT @ 19.14mph.
Makes for good reading.

Best of luck to you.

OP
OP
Alex11

Alex11

ianrauk, thanks for the tips. I've done further and quicker, it's just I never feel any strain on the muscles or tiredness, no sweat, I think maybe I should push myself a bit further?

OP
OP
Alex11

Alex11

I know it's not all the bicycle, but the one I'm on, isn't exactly, fantastic. Yes it's a road bike, STI shifters etc. but I'm aiming on getting a new one soon, possibly a Bianchi second hand? And so that can only improve my speed.

lukesdad

I know it's not all the bicycle, but the one I'm on, isn't exactly, fantastic. Yes it's a road bike, STI shifters etc. but I'm aiming on getting a new one soon, possibly a Bianchi second hand? And so that can only improve my speed.

As Ian said your best move is to join a road club. You'll get first hand advice. One thing I will say, youth racing has gear restrictions check here http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/zu...nteer/Commissaire_Quick_Guide_COMMISSAIRE.pdf

Something to bear in mind when you get your next bike best of luck.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Join a club - look for one that caters for younger riders as you'll get good coaching - I'm now taking my son (he is 11) to a local Go Ride Club every week, and they mainly cater for young riders - parents are allowed to join but it's focussed on the kids.

You've got a good interest in cycling (I was the same) - so go find a club to take it further !!

OP
OP
Alex11

Alex11

Yes, I'm getting from all of this that joining a club is the next stage?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Either join a club or sign on to race some local crits and/or TT's. Probably best to join a club before racing crits though so you get some experience of riding in a group. As for Time Trial's, well it's you, on your own, against the clock over 10 mile (or 25, or 50, or 12 hours or 24 hours etc etc) and you will get a good measure of how fast you are actually capable of going.

I'm only just 15 after all. I really love sport, cycling and football especially, and I've been told I've got potential in both, but cycling is the one I'd really like to pursue.

What do you reckon guys? Is it just my mind telling me I'm the next Wiggo or Cav?
Or do I genuinely have a chance?

Thanks!!!

Youth u16 racing is about as quick as adult 3rd/4th category circuits - and many of the top u16s (those with 15+ ranking points) can get dispensation to race with (and often beat) the adults. If you can get closer to 20mph av over 20 miles, then that would put you in the ballpark in terms of speed/effort/fitness required to hang with a 3/4 or u16 race. As Ian says, 16mph is commendable, but you would still struggle in competitions with that level of fitness. Raising the bar will not be a problem for you though - just need the right level of training/coaching, which a good road club (ideally one with a youth section) would give you...

OP
OP
Alex11

Alex11

Yes, what I'm trying to say about my 16mph over 20 miles was, I wasn't pushing in any way, just a leisurely cycle!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Well ride faster and see what you can actually do over 20 mile. A good test would be to do a 25 mile time trial. The line between leisurely cycling and suffering might be be a finer one than you anticipate.

lukesdad

Youth u16 racing is about as quick as adult 3rd/4th category circuits - and many of the top u16s (those with 15+ ranking points) can get dispensation to race with (and often beat) the adults. If you can get closer to 20mph av over 20 miles, then that would put you in the ballpark in terms of speed/effort/fitness required to hang with a 3/4 or u16 race. As Ian says, 16mph is commendable, but you would still struggle in competitions with that level of fitness. Raising the bar will not be a problem for you though - just need the right level of training/coaching, which a good road club (ideally one with a youth section) would give you...

Agree totally and would add that youth racing over recent years has really come on. In our recent street races, the youth events could have been mistaken for the main event, riders and teams working together to achieve a result. Encouragingly the biggest increase in membership at the club, by a long way has been in this age group.

Top Bottom