Young Rider Classification

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Geraint Thomas is going to come last in the Young Rider Classification this year, do you think after this years event and with some training he could get last overall next year?:thumbsup:

i was saddened to see he lost more time in the race for lantern rouge too.

L

Dave_1

I dislike the Lanterne rouge award as nobody is the TDF is last to me, they are first... as to be in a top amatuer in the UK, then to be a pro, to be in a pro tour team , to then be picked for the TDF by your team...that's one hell of an achievement...and then to finish the TDF at your first go. To me this is no lanterne rouge...Gerraint Thomas is one of the great Gladiators of the road that TDF men are! I admire the guy for pushing on through the TDF. He's with the creme de la creme of the sport

ps. Hi Keith, sorry I didn't manage to meet you 2 weeks back in HK.

Keith Oates

Janner
HI Dave_1, I'm also sorry we missed each other, but I did get a full night of watching the TdF in the Canny Man. There will be other times to catch up on things. Glad to see you here and posting!!

Dave_1

Keith Oates said:
HI Dave_1, I'm also sorry we missed each other, but I did get a full night of watching the TdF in the Canny Man. There will be other times to catch up on things. Glad to see you here and posting!!

Hi Keith, yes, let's catch up again soon. I must say I am a little burned out on the old forum, it's too large , masses of sections, huge numbers of threads. I will come on here a little more often

someone has to be last... unless we decide to use a non-competitive style of racing, so why not enjoy that fact that you've survived.

if Geraint had been the lantern rouge he'd have got publicity and air-time as he held his lantern on the way to Paris. the LR is as much a celebration of finishing as being last. Plus, he would be remembered as the LR and any subsequent finish could only be an improvement. :thumbsup:

maybe we should just say they all won and have a big warm hug on the finish line. :thumbsup:

L

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I've actually always thought the position of 'lantern rouge' carries real prestige and honour. It's recognition of the guy who has found the Tour the most demanding, but has not actually quit. 'Chappeau' to a real tough courreur.

I think we may be doing these guys a disservice that was never intended, if we correlate the Lantern Rouge with the wooden spoon. The French, in particular, have a lot more respect for all competitors in endurance events (including sailing and mountaineering) than we have in what they would see as the 'anglo saxon' fixation with celebrity based 'winners'.

monnet

Guru
Through the history of the tour there has often been real competition to get the lanterne rouge on the grounds that it gives the 'winner' much better earnign opportunities in th epost tour criteriums. I agree with comments about it showing respect for finishing such a demanding event.

Tetedelacourse

I didn't think Thomas would get to Paris in his first attempt. Phenomenal effort and he is forever more a giant of the road. He should have a few offers for next season.

Chapeau Geraint!

chris42

Tetedelacourse said:
I didn't think Thomas would get to Paris in his first attempt. Phenomenal effort and he is forever more a giant of the road. He should have a few offers for next season.

Chapeau Geraint!

well said
Maybe we'll see him in the tour again??

Tetedelacourse

I think that's a dead cert. He may have received more publicity as Lanterne Rouge but he's still the youngest in this year's race and he finished and he rode in a high profile team that won a jersey and a couple of stages. Also he was one of only 3 Brits to finish. He'll be in 7th heaven right now I should think!

Top Bottom