Youngest age for a balance bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
no

Hip Priest

Veteran
It might be a little bit early for her, but she isn't going to get any younger or smaller, so you could always buy one and keep it 'til she's ready for it. Got my two year old son his first bike from decathlon the other day. He can't turn the pedals - yet.

400bhp

Guru
If in doubt, keep the seat low. She's not really balancing then, but she's getting used to the feel of the bike.

Decathlon balance bike is £30-can't go wrong.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I got one for eldest granddaughter when she was 2. She couldn't fit it then but she can now (4). Unfortunately her parents don't have the space in the garden or time to take her out on it. When we went round last week it needed tyres pumping up and they are not cyclists so don't have a pump (I'm taking mine next time we go and it might need seat raising up a tad. I think the youngest (she's 2) will get more use from it as she seems a little braver and willing to try anything.
4 year old has a bike with stabilisers too but she can't pedal it yet but she does love her 3 wheel scooter (one you steer by leaning) so balance bike should be easy now.
I think the only limiting factors are size of kid to bike and their willingness to have a go.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Get yourself a Toddlebike.

84e0c3c36f730cd90aef302693a7a89c.jpg

Ianrauk Jnr was scooting along at the age of 1.
It has 4 wheels rather then 2 so is very stable. It's also very lightweight and very robust.
Get jnr one of these and he will be scooting along in no time at all.

400bhp

Guru
Get yourself a Toddlebike.

84e0c3c36f730cd90aef302693a7a89c.jpg

Ianrauk Jnr was scooting along at the age of 1.
It has 4 wheels rather then 2 so is very stable. It's also very lightweight and very robust.
Get jnr one of these and he will be scooting along in no time at all.

I had 2 sets of handles for these which broke in exactly the same place.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I got one for eldest granddaughter when she was 2. She couldn't fit it then but she can now (4). Unfortunately her parents don't have the space in the garden or time to take her out on it. When we went round last week it needed tyres pumping up and they are not cyclists so don't have a pump (I'm taking mine next time we go and it might need seat raising up a tad. I think the youngest (she's 2) will get more use from it as she seems a little braver and willing to try anything.
4 year old has a bike with stabilisers too but she can't pedal it yet but she does love her 3 wheel scooter (one you steer by leaning) so balance bike should be easy now.
I think the only limiting factors are size of kid to bike and their willingness to have a go.

Our garden is utterly rubbish for cycling as it drops about thirty feet and is on four levels, but we do have a sizeable allotment :smile:

4503602226_8b13edffd3.jpg
Gardening at night by Andrew Culture, on Flickr

Davidc

Guru
If that's for the 1st birthday will she be getting a small sized 'real' bike for her 2nd!

Good to see that you're starting her young - and happy birthday to the young lady.

Top Bottom