Youngest age for a balance bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
[QUOTE 2021657, member: 45"]No. But you need to check out the size of the bike. We had a wooden one which didn't have much saddle drop so the child needed to be a certain height. We bought an Islabikes Rothan for number 2 by for Christmas when he was 20 months. This was much lower and he could just sit on it. He was shooting around on it with both feet off the ground before he was 2 and a half.[/quote]

Like this.. :thumbsup:

Like this.. :thumbsup:

Thats pretty awesome. Defo need to get my wee man something like this when he's a bit bigger. I take it the brakes are the amount of force applied to the ground with the feet?

My girl is one year old tomorrow and can sort of walk, she loves riding her dragon rocking horse and I'm starting to think about balance bikes.

Am I being a bit ambitious?

You're not being too ambitious, but why the rush?

I didn't sit on a tricycle (fixed-gear, FWD) until I was three or four. My children didn't sit on a hobby horse (which might be similar to a balance bike)until nearly three, over three in one case. All three kids (now 13, 16 and 19) ride with enthusiasm. There was no hurrying-along or encouraging. They just had the bikes to hand and quite liked the notion.

It is admirable that you are thinking about these things, but there are a lot of amusements and distractions in childhood and toddlerhood.

Bicycles are one of them. Play-Doh is another. Painting seems popular too.

The thing that will make them keen cyclists (if that's what they're going to be) are balance, flexibility, good general health, a degree of physical resiliance and a sense of curiosity.

They can get all those things from just fooling around in the garden.

It's wonderful that your kids have parents who think about these things and look to do the best, but I really wouldn't be in too much of a rush.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Oh no rush at all, and I won't make an effort to sit on on the bike when it arrives, I just want it to be there to see if it takes her fancy.

She might only be a year old bit she sure knows her mind!

I still claim I know nothing about parenting, but she seems happy enough :smile:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Oh no rush at all, and I won't make an effort to sit on on the bike when it arrives, I just want it to be there to see if it takes her fancy.

She might only be a year old bit she sure knows her mind!

I still claim I know nothing about parenting, but she seems happy enough :smile:

And this is exactly what she will do.
Especially if she see's daddy cycling.

Hicky

Guru
I think my youngest was about 14 months maybe less(was walking by 10.5 months though) when I got him a balance bike, best thing I've bought, at now three and a half he's riding three miles comfortably.....infact this morning he was my pacer for a three mile run along the canal....it can be hard work as he's a chatterbox, running and talking.:heat:

Top Bottom