Your best lie....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
We started a blatant lie / rumour at work...just for fun. Used to get loads of laughs from winding people up.
So we started this rumour, just threw it into a convo with someone, then sit back and wait for it to kick off......

Nothing........ah well.

Several months later, a colleague came up to us and told us this rumour going round....
:angry::ohmy: No way......no way can they do that (whatever it was ) thats outrageous...we all sat talking about it at teabreak....after 10 minutes or so....

:rolleyes: 'Hang on' i said.... 'WE started that one months ago' xx(

It'd done the rounds alright, it took so long, we'd forgotten all about it.
Suckered by our own rumour mongering

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
I once convinced an ex-gf many years ago that my middle name was just 'H', it didn't stand for anything but my parents gave it to me because they'd given my Sister a middle name but couldn't agree on one for me.

Almost 9 months later we were in a group talking about sh*te (as you do when you're young) and she quite loudly stated that I didn't have a middle name, and the reason why. Of course all my other mates just cracked up laughing as they knew my middle name which I wasn't overly fond of.

It took her a while to see the funny side. Women! xx(

I also managed to convince a mate of mine's American gf that some sheep in a field we were passing in a car at the time had markings put on their backs by some local yobs with spray cans. She was very sympathetic. It didn't seem to dawn on her that *all* the sheep in the various fields were similarly marked, and some in different colours! No idea whether she still believes it, they split up not long after she returned to the States from her visit to us.

freakhatz

Will1985 said:
Convincing an American girl that we only had B&W TV in the UK, and that the import of Levi jeans was a very new thing due to the fact we had recently finished paying off debt to the US for WW1. It lasted about an hour before we cracked up.....this girl is now a Rhodes scholar!

It was WW2.. The jeans were available under lend-lease. Unfortunately we ain't as smart as the yanks.

Mrs L and I used to walk to our favourite restaurant under a railway bridge. I can't for the life of me understand why I did it, but, if a train was passing over I'd say something like 'class 66 on the way to Didcot'. As time went by I got more and more inventive. And then the Eurostar trains started using it (they were on their way to Acton) and it got to be even more fun.

THIS WENT ON FOR SIX YEARS

And then, one night, we were walking home in the company of my best and oldest friends and I made the mistake of saying something like 'Class 31 - I expect that's going down to Gatwick'. Mrs L turned to one of my friends and said 'Bridget - you didn't warn me I was going out with a trainspotter'. And Bridget turned round and said 'he's making it all up. More fool you for believing any of it'.

longers

Legendary Member
My uncle and his kids turned up for a visit once. A very rare occurence. My mum asked my cousins to go and check on the goldfish in the pond.

It kept them busy for half an hour looking for the pond she hasn't got :sad:.

Top Bottom