Your best ride of 2022

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
My best ride was also my worst ride. The first and only day of mine and my dad's Anglesey tour. The scenery was spectacular and despite being pissed wet through, cold and knackered with bikes weighing a half ton and handling like pigs, dad and I enjoyed it thoroughly. Till he hit the deck and got injured.
Warm sunny days and nice easy rides are all fine and dandy. Riding with my dad? Priceless.
PXL_20220912_113815010 (2).jpg

OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
My best ride was also my worst ride. The first and only day of mine and my dad's Anglesey tour. The scenery was spectacular and despite being pissed wet through, cold and knackered with bikes weighing a half ton and handling like pigs, dad and I enjoyed it thoroughly. Till he hit the deck and got injured.
Warm sunny days and nice easy rides are all fine and dandy. Riding with my dad? Priceless.

I remember reading your ride report on that one. Absolutely legendary, would easily win "post of the year" if there were such an award!

Hebe

getting better all the time
I’m going to squeeze one more in - my Christmas Eve ride which was my first ride since getting covid in early December. It was 7.5km that felt far harder than they should have done, but I did it, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

@Vantage I love your story of riding with your dad, was he ok?

My best ride of 2022 was actually caused by a walk.

I was leading my regular Tuesday "social stroll" walking group, and our walk took us through Ramsgate harbour, where there is a bike shop and bike hire place.

Now, I had been agonizing about buying a new ebike as my nearly 15 year old one was getting very tired. (Mrs Salad also had one of the same vintage, which she was having some troubles with....) And the bike shop had a lovely looking ebike, which I stopped to look at. Would sir like a little test ride around the harbour? Yes, I would. Would madam like to try the step through model? Yes, please.

So both Mrs Salad and I ended up ordering new ebikes.....

We have had some lovely trips out on them this Autumn, but that first test ride was pretty significant, for what it led to.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
My only century ride this year, still not 100 % at the time as i was still regaining form after the surgery which took a good 6 months of riding to get back in shape.
109 miles in total to Monsall Head with the rest basically towing me along and waiting on every hill.
1672162676824.png

1672162693378.png

1672162710651.png

Cathryn

Legendary Member
This is the loveliest thread…so much joy and pride in every post, whether it be something objectively epic or a potter with friends!

Despite completing the tour of my dreams this summer, which was a joy from start to finish, my best ride was in April. A genrle 15 miler with my running buddy, who is now a cycling buddy. April is my favourite month. The weather was glorious, the blossom was out and it was the first taste of summer riding! I just remember being so very happy for the whole thing!

Attachments

• 9B98D369-D646-4A33-AFD6-116E43C3B112.jpeg
    9B98D369-D646-4A33-AFD6-116E43C3B112.jpeg
    242.3 KB · Views: 5

Ridgeback Roller

Über Member
It's a close run thing between one of this year's rides with friends in the Massif Central or a solo long day out in mid Wales. I nearly cooked in the 34C plus temperature but this ride in France shades it.
Miles of near deserted roads heading into the Puy country, already 30C at 09:00hrs at the start of a 3 col day.
IMG-20220612-WA0001.jpg
Glad I choose to take the trusty old Spa Audax, it's 26/32 granny gearing came into play more often than I would have liked!
Cafes in this area are few and far between outside of the towns, due in part to the sparseness of population. Keeping bidons topped up in the heat was quite a problem.
IMG-20220614-WA0001 (2).jpg
I was totally cooked at the summit to this col, luckily we had just the fairly gentle climb to Col de la Croix de Morand (and a rather nice summit restaurant, can recommend the local truffade) left to do before a 15km downhill that would take us back to base. The ladies TdF is going over these cols in 2023, be interesting to see them cycled at pace.
IMG-20220614-WA0011.jpg
Sublime views round every corner
IMG-20220613-WA0005.jpg

It's a close run thing between one of this year's rides with friends in the Massif Central or a solo long day out in mid Wales. I nearly cooked in the 34C plus temperature but this ride in France shades it.
Miles of near deserted roads heading into the Puy country, already 30C at 09:00hrs at the start of a 3 col day.
View attachment 672638
Glad I choose to take the trusty old Spa Audax, it's 26/32 granny gearing came into play more often than I would have liked!
Cafes in this area are few and far between outside of the towns, due in part to the sparseness of population. Keeping bidons topped up in the heat was quite a problem.
View attachment 672639
I was totally cooked at the summit to this col, luckily we had just the fairly gentle climb to Col de la Croix de Morand (and a rather nice summit restaurant, can recommend the local truffade) left to do before a 15km downhill that would take us back to base. The ladies TdF is going over these cols in 2023, be interesting to see them cycled at pace.
View attachment 672641
Sublime views round every corner
View attachment 672643

Wow that's one i would love to do. Great pix!

Top Bottom