Your best ride of 2022

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Mine has to be an afternoon ride in September in glorious weather in Belgium 🇧🇪 rather than get a taxi to my hotel I rented a bike at Mechelen Station, I then rode to the hotel dropped off my rucksack & went on a 40km pootle along the quiet roads and cycle lanes, stopping off in Hombeek and Eppegem for refreshments 🍺
It was nice just to amble along and enjoy the scenery and flat roads of Flanders.

IMG_20220831_130152.jpg

IMG_20220901_142612.jpg

IMG_20220901_152952.jpg

Last edited:
Undoubtably hiring bikes and then cycling the 5 (?) miles to: and then over the Golden Gate Bridge and then back again - whilst travelling around California for 3 weeks.

Perfect weather, wide cycle paths, great scenery and no time schedules. Cycling life doesn’t get any better…..

Lol, until I enlarged it, I thought that 5th picture was a giant finger. The trip looks ace though :becool:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I had three big rides in the year. Don't remember much about the first one (100 miles unofficial extended audax), other than that the weather was extraordinarily warm for February.

The second was memorable, as I started in -3 deg C, and didn't seem to get much warmer as the day went on, but 200k in my favourite part of the country (East Leicestershire, Rutland and Northamptonshire) certainly ticked a few boxes, and the company of a marvellous gentleman who forced me to eat and drink when I felt least like doing so got me back home.

But the third really stands out due to the weather and the company. All but 70 miles with a young lad aged 9, often called "my son" (for a very good reason) in the wilds on Lincolnshire is one that will hopefully be supplanted by an even longer one next year, but for the moment, it is a very special memory.

IMG_20220823_094052_547.jpg

Uphill to start
IMG_20220823_105415_537.jpg

Roads weren't always tarmac
IMG_20220823_133448_820.jpg

Look at the size of that burger! (almost all of it went)
IMG_20220823_160919_369.jpg

Fenton! Fenton!

Alex321

Veteran
I had three big rides in the year. Don't remember much about the first one (100 miles unofficial extended audax), other than that the weather was extraordinarily warm for February.

The second was memorable, as I started in -3 deg C, and didn't seem to get much warmer as the day went on, but 200k in my favourite part of the country (East Leicestershire, Rutland and Northamptonshire) certainly ticked a few boxes, and the company of a marvellous gentleman who forced me to eat and drink when I felt least like doing so got me back home.

But the third really stands out due to the weather and the company. All but 70 miles with a young lad aged 9, often called "my son" (for a very good reason) in the wilds on Lincolnshire is one that will hopefully be supplanted by an even longer one next year, but for the moment, it is a very special memory.

View attachment 671697
Uphill to start
View attachment 671698
Roads weren't always tarmac
View attachment 671699
Look at the size of that burger! (almost all of it went)
View attachment 671700

Fenton! Fenton!

That burger is almost as big as he is!

70 miles is a massive ride for somebody his age. Well done.

Sharky

Guru
I don't do many "mega" rides nowadays. Distance/endurance rides are not a target.
Most of my rides are short and boringly very repetitive.

But two rides stand out and have been the same for many a year.
First is getting to the start line of one or our club's evening 10's. This marks getting through the cold miserable winter months and convincing me to don racing strip one more time.

Second is achieving a sub "evens" ride for a 10. Last few seasons, it takes me nearly the whole of the year to achieving this and very satisfying when I do.

Perhaps a third is when/if I beat my age standard for a 10.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I really enjoyed a 5 day tour I did in October. I started and finished at home which avoids the challenge / logistics of trains. It took in the Chilterns, Cotswolds and Black Mountains of Wales plus lots of other lovely countryside in between . Travelled light, credit card touring staying in bed and breakfast including pubs along the way. One set of clothing for riding and another set for the evening. Took a book and stayed off Internet during the tour. Wonderful.

A5057BD4-C96D-458A-A3AD-DD6FBC8746BE.jpeg

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
This year has been tough for me to get in any notable rides in but I reckon my best was probably the Loch Ness loop, but I was on my own that day, so I would say, any ride with my brother. We completed our usual, Loch Katrine run a couple of times, as well as the Helensburgh sportive, which was actually quite tough as all the climbing was at the start of that one. We also did a cracking ride over to Rothesay and had a swim in a lovely wee bay there before struggling over Glen Mason to Dunoon and the ferry back to civilisation and the last few miles home. I pulled my abductor on that ride which took months to recover to any great degree so my plan is to spend the winter in the gym to build that back up to prepare for the touring we have planned for next year. Hopefully my post in next year's thread will be more interesting, we live in hope. :okay:

AndreaJ

Veteran
Mine was done at the start of the year when a group of us who had never met before replied to a Facebook post about setting up a cycling group went on our first ride.! It wasn’t very far , we did the Ellesmere triathlon route followed by coffee at The Boathouse by the Mere in Ellesmere but it was the first of many group rides.
We have since cycled hundreds of miles together in Shropshire, Cheshire and Wales to places I wouldn’t have gone on my own including up several Welsh hills I definitely wouldn’t have done otherwise and have become good friends as well.

Top Bottom