Your bike and historical Water Company or Telephone Exchange buildings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FrothNinja

Veteran
If that's a gpo/British telecom green box ( correct term Primary cross connection point PCP) it's a very old design I've never seen in 35 years of working for them

Pretty sure it is at least 1930s

FrothNinja

Veteran
Any markings on it ?

Not sure - will look closer next time I pass it. Here is the other pic I took of it -
220821 8.JPG

13 rider

Guru
I remembered your request!!! This was the only marking
View attachment 686587
You have a better memory than me I forgotten .
At least we know it was made it England , Aei was a cable manufacturer for both telephone and electricity. I still suspect it's electrical related rather than telephone but not 100% sure

FrothNinja

Veteran
You have a better memory than me I forgotten .
At least we know it was made it England , Aei was a cable manufacturer for both telephone and electricity. I still suspect it's electrical related rather than telephone but not 100% sure

Does it being painted green make a difference? There used to be a hall the other side of the railway bridge, but the nearest settlement is over a mile away

13 rider

Guru
Does it being painted green make a difference? There used to be a hall the other side of the railway bridge, but the nearest settlement is over a mile away
Green is the traditional GPO colour but not exclusive lots of street furniture is camouflaged by painting it green

13 rider

Guru
Nearly all Bt exchanges look like that built late 50s early 60s. Used to be kept in pristine condition now they do no maintenance and let them deteriorate . The technology now exist that they can make them redundant so they won't spend any money on them
When it was built it would have be mechanical switching equipment which has changed to electronic so more capacity in the same space

Drago

Legendary Member
@biggsand @PeteXXX theres one in Hanslope, close to the roundabout by the Watts Arms. Pay attention, as at first glance it just looks like a bungalow.

Also within potential range for you boys us a more obvious one, top of Silver Street in Newport Pagnell, opposite the entrance to the car park behind the arcade.

Top Bottom