Your Bike in front of a Church

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
Just before I started to fix my puncture. Thank you God...

Attachments

• IMG_20210722_202613.jpg
    IMG_20210722_202613.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 0
View attachment 599740 20210718_100114 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

Malmesbury Abbey. Dynamic range too great for film, let alone digital.
Still a great pic ^_^

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Cornillon-sur-l'Oule yesterday:

P1020690.jpg

Bramley End Church.

View attachment 588659

As in

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPFhQuqYpYg

And the cottage at the church gates which you can see in the clip at the beginning and the end.

Pic without bike.

View attachment 588660

OK, it's not, it's Turville.

Used for quite a few film/TV locations. **

A shot of the village from the churchyard showing the windmill on the hill - as used in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

View attachment 588661

Went the Day Well is I think one of the greatest British films about the war* and there are few places that seem more English than Turville/Bramley End - it seems as if nothing much has changed since the wartime when the film was made - there's still not much there than the church, the churchyard, some houses and a pub.

A wargrave - a 19 year old pilot died not too long before the film was made, though the gravestone almost certainly wasn't there when the film was made.

View attachment 588662

* So it was of course directed by a foreigner - Alberto Cavalcanti - if you go to the Brazilian embassy on/just off Trafalgar Square, there's a room dedicated to him.

** Including the Vicar Of Dibley - I've been there on a different bike a few years ago - most of the comments in the visitor's book name-checked the Vicar of Dibley - the only one which I remember referring to Went the Day Well was actually from a German chap who recalled the film - maybe seen on a wet German post-war TV Sunday afternoon - with fondness and respect.

Regards to him (still around I hope) and RIP to the 19 year old Brit pilot.

(a particularly moving reconciliatory tribute at the bottom of his gravestone - should have copied the text)

For anyone interested the church is starring in Went the Day well showing on Talking Pictures TV freeview channel 81 18:35 today.

Top Bottom