Your Bike in front of a Church

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
St Mary's in Oakley

Saint Margaret Clitherow, Threshfield, near Grassington, Catholic.
View attachment 545401

Interesting building, built 1973 according to this, which also says it only has a congregation of 100.

http://www.stmargaretclitherow.org.uk/

Would have liked to see if the interior was as interesting as the outside, but of course it was all locked due to the damned Covid curse, which they didn't see coming and seem to be in no rush to explain.

Have no idea if those silvery tent poles are structural or just decorative, but they are at least handy for this notice:

View attachment 545402
Despite its interest, pretty useless for a tired passing cyclist - no gravestones to ponder/admire and no water tap.
Stumbled across your post again, and something clicked. I worked with the architect (Peter Langtry Langton's) practice many years back. Based in Bradford, he had done his training with Sir Basil Spence, of new Coventry Cathedral fame. Maybe there are a few similarities?

Stumbled across your post again, and something clicked. I worked with the architect (Peter Langtry Langton's) practice many years back. Based in Bradford, he had done his training with Sir Basil Spence, of new Coventry Cathedral fame. Maybe there are a few similarities?
Interesting.
Definitely an interesting building in a place I wouldn't have expected.
Will try to get in sometime.

B4EE8E07-1667-4541-BAFB-E2D91CF9BAC2.jpeg

St Mary’s church, Upwaltham, West Sussex, today.
This is just off the SDW, and about 1/5 a mile from the new Cadence coffee and sandwich ‘container’ which does a wonderful Spinach, cheese and chutney toastie. They also have a great coffee, their own blend, both of which I would recommend.
The sandwich is called the Beryl Burton, and another is ‘the Chris Hoy’, well worth dropping in if you’re around these parts, but others are in Eastbourne, google Cadence Cycle club for details.

Last edited:
If it wasn't for the tower I would have thought it was a warehouse.

It is a bit "warehousy" isn't it? the rest of the village is quite pretty so I'm not sure why someone felt they had to inflict that in it. Funny thing is, the tower is on the "country" end of the church.

Top Bottom