Your Bike in front of a Church

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
All Hallows, Great Mitton, Lancs.

Apologies for not showing the entire exterior, particularly as it's Grade 1 listed.

In churchyard, Grade 2, listed 14th century cross head - base is 19th century addition:

One of the church's highlights is the Shireburn Chapel with some impressive carved memorial figures:

The human mind is an amazing thing - I only visited this place pretty recently (thanks to a bike of course) but when I was there looking at the figures remembered that an esteemed primary school teacher had told us how impressive they were. Pretty sure that then I didn't really know where Great Mitton was. Gawd knows why that had stuck in the recesses of my mind when I have trouble remembering where I've left my phone.

Nice cosy interior - autolight on a timer and you can switch other lights on - ColinJ knows that in addition to its historic interest I always valued this place for a fine toilet, part of a global toilet twinning scheme, but I couldn't get at it on my most recent trip. I think it must be upstairs in the meazzanine added at the rear and that appeared to be locked.

Attachments

• mittoninside.jpg
    mittoninside.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 2

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Great Doddington United reformed church this morning

2nd time in 6 months

Wells cathedral in late afternoon sunlight. I’m still taken by the scale of this place, this was taken on my ride from Zeal(to collect the Z for the ABC challenge) to cheddar

Whilst there, a lady approached and chatted about my bike and the tyres, her husband came over to chat about his genesis equilibrium 10, same year and whether he could fit the same tyres

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
2nd time in 6 months

Wells cathedral in late afternoon sunlight. I’m still taken by the scale of this place, this was taken on my ride from Zeal(to collect the Z for the ABC challenge) to cheddar

Whilst there, a lady approached and chatted about my bike and the tyres, her husband came over to chat about his genesis equilibrium 10, same year and whether he could fit the same tyres View attachment 499611

Not been to Wells cathedral since my early teens ie 40 years

'My bike in front of the Stiftskirche in Tübingen, south Germany. New Years Day 2020.

2nd time in 6 months

Whilst there, a lady approached and chatted about my bike and the tyres, her husband came over to chat about his genesis equilibrium 10, same year and whether he could fit the same tyres View attachment 499611
An architectural masterpiece! Wells and Salisbury knock it out of the park :okay:

Top Bottom