Your Bike in front of a Church

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

And

Fun sponge
Can I slip in a chapel? Salem Chapel, Wingerworth near Chesterfield - Grade II listed: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1319828

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Both a gate & a church.

IMG_20200626_165824705~2.jpg

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Its actually a Basilica, but i'll let you off :laugh:

Especially as the Oxford English Dictionary defines a basilica as a type of church ;)

I've had some confusion with French correspondents when I label English (C of E) parish churches as "églises", as in France an église is specifically a Catholic church, and Protestant churches are 'temples'. But in English, 'temple' tends only to be used for historical (and often specifically ancient religions) buildings. So I've explained that in English, all religious buildings can be called 'churches', and it does not imply anything more than 'religious building'. Even 'chapel', which is often the label in Britain for Methodist churches, does not necessarily imply that denomination.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
In the States, "church" seems to apply to everything, although strictly, Catholic and Episcopal/Anglican churches are parishes. Temple is mainly reserved for Judaism, Buddhists, and Hindus. To confuse it even more, some Methodist churches are named for saints. In our city, there are two Saint Patrick's Churches(R.C), old and new.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
In the States, "church" seems to apply to everything, although strictly, Catholic and Episcopal/Anglican churches are parishes. Temple is mainly reserved for Judaism, Buddhists, and Hindus. To confuse it even more, some Methodist churches are named for saints. In our city, there are two Saint Patrick's Churches(R.C), old and new.

It seems like the Venn diagram of labels for religious buildings really would vary from country to country. But I'm happy just to call them all 'churches'.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
St Mary the Virgin in Whiston .

Top Bottom