Your Bike in front of a Church

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You might be surprised what you'll learn if you look closely, then read the listings. Though be warned, some listings are more useful than others... but, as a body of work, they are a great resource for increasing your understanding of how churches have developed/evolved over the centuries.
I have bookshelves full of these, collected over many years, the detail is astonishing :wacko:

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
I have bookshelves full of these, collected over many years, the detail is astonishing :wacko:
View attachment 530608

Oh yes, Pevsner's good, as is the Simon Jenkins book, for a more selective, er selection.

Once you start looking, the history just standing around us all over Britain is astonishing.

Saint Mary, Fryerning.

Apparently it has a window dedicated to Airey Neave, with a "pic" of Colditz Castle, though I couldn't see it from the outside.

Some interesting glasswork - one in the big window in the second pic - evocation of the wonders of nature it seemed to me, nothing religious.

As I got within a mile or so I realised that I'd been before when lost but didn't go in then either as it was locked.

Very large churchyard/burial ground - they seem all set for another 500 years of burials. Water tap.

Saint Margarets Margeretting, or at least the bee infested wooden bit of it.

Close up of bees. There are a lot more inside I think - a saw a fair few of the critters nipping through a hole.

Must have been a bit mad taking that but maybe they are blessed as I wasn't swarmed - only one followed me.

Thoughtful sign.

A local told me that the bees have been there as long as she can remember - folks just live with them - though apparently folk planning weddings at the church tend to be a bit concerned.

The church has an unusual location - it's just over a level crossing on a main train line and there the road ends - very frequent trains so you may be stuck with the bees for a while.

Last edited:
Saint Margarets Margeretting, or at least the bee infested wooden bit of it. View attachment 531176

Close up of bees. There are a lot more inside I think - a saw a fair few of the critters nipping through a hole.

View attachment 531177

Must have been a bit mad taking that but maybe they are blessed as I wasn't swarmed - only one followed me.

Thoughtful sign.

View attachment 531178

A local told me that the bees have been there as long as she can remember - folks just live with them - though apparently folk planning weddings at the church tend to be a bit concerned.

The church has an unusual location - it's just over a level crossing on a main train line and there the road ends - very frequent trains so you may be stuck with the bees for a while.
Lovely church, will be on my list to see as I make it over to St Peter on the Wall, Bradwell on Sea built in 654 :okay:

Lovely church, will be on my list to see as I make it over to St Peter on the Wall, Bradwell on Sea built in 654 :okay:
View attachment 531182
bit of a trip from cheshire?
Been there with the late Barry Mason.

Willd

Veteran
I pass by loads of churches, but never really give them much attention. However, inspired by the ABC villages thread I have started an ABC of churches, this may take a while :rolleyes:

A and B today in 11 miles. For those who don't know who to support - All Saints in Harborough Magna

DSC00454.jpg

St Botolph's in Newbold-on-Avon, patron saint of wayfarers apparently. It does have a big tower as well, which is behind the trees somewhere.

DSC00455.jpg

A couple of St. Mary's for you from today's ride
Firstly in Raydon
View attachment 531324
And just down the road in Holton
View attachment 531325
I had to look the Holton church up, something didn't seem right? So the original 15th century tower was falling down when the victorians decided to reduce its height and make it 'stubby'. In an odd way it makes it look older. I thought the tower at least was Saxon on first viewing, alas no. It was the hand of a conservation architect a hundred odd years ago :blink:

Top Bottom