Your Bike in front of a Church

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

And

Fun sponge
Church of St Giles, Great Longstone - Grade I listed https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1109899

And

Fun sponge
Strixton Church earlier today.
"Earlier today" - posted at 08:37!! I was still asleep until 9!

briantrumpet

Legendary Member

Once churches are open again (should be this week), if you go in, you might start evaluating the worthiness of the G1, G2* and G2 listings... generally they are a decent guide, but occasionally I see a G1 church that I think should be G2*... if you look up the descriptors, G1 indicates it is of national historical importance, generally either because it is 'of a piece' of a particular era, because it is full of individual items that are remarkable as a collection, or has an absolutely outstanding significant feature.

Once churches are open again (should be this week), if you go in, you might start evaluating the worthiness of the G1, G2* and G2 listings... generally they are a decent guide, but occasionally I see a G1 church that I think should be G2*... if you look up the descriptors, G1 indicates it is of national historical importance, generally either because it is 'of a piece' of a particular era, because it is full of individual items that are remarkable as a collection, or has an absolutely outstanding significant feature.
I often think that, St Michaels in Shotwick is Grade I which was a surprise

Unless its a rare interior?

I have always thought G1* would be a good move, for the 'world class' architecturally, or really historically important, Tower of London, Durham cathedral kind of thing?

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
MBIFO the ridiculously tall Widecombe in the Moor church tower today

DSC01427.jpg

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
:smile: Thanks for the "hotch potch", the polite version i assume. That really is an architectural disgrace, and i know nothing about architecture.

It is actually interesting architecturally because it's not been 'unified' by the Victorian restorers, and has quite a lot of 17th-century stuff remaining, which is unusual in churches, the two big ages of church construction and restoration being up to the late 15th century, then the 19th. All too often in the 19th century they obliterated what was there before.

It is actually interesting architecturally because it's not been 'unified' by the Victorian restorers, and has quite a lot of 17th-century stuff remaining, which is unusual in churches, the two big ages of church construction and restoration being up to the late 15th century, then the 19th. All too often in the 19th century they obliterated what was there before.
Yes, rare as hens teeth original churches from 1600s, here's one, Kirk of Canongate in Edinburgh

And

Fun sponge
I will - but I'm afraid that some subtleties and nuances will go missing on me :sad:

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
I will - but I'm afraid that some subtleties and nuances will go missing on me :sad:

You might be surprised what you'll learn if you look closely, then read the listings. Though be warned, some listings are more useful than others... but, as a body of work, they are a great resource for increasing your understanding of how churches have developed/evolved over the centuries.

Top Bottom