Your Bike in front of a Church

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Right, a little bit of background as to why I chose this church as my next destination. On another forum I look at somebody made reference to a gentleman called Willard Wigan who I had never heard of but who does micro sculptures. Reading the link to his wiki page ( https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willard_Wigan )
it turns out he has in the past done a sculpture of St Bartholomew's church on Chosen Hill in Gloucester which, as it is just up the road, had to be visited.

Here's a picture of Willard's sculpture, set in the eye of a needle:

Here's my picture taken this afternoon:

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Right, a little bit of background as to why I chose this church as my next destination. On another forum I look at somebody made reference to a gentleman called Willard Wigan who I had never heard of but who does micro sculptures. Reading the link to his wiki page ( https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willard_Wigan )
it turns out he has in the past done a sculpture of St Bartholomew's church on Chosen Hill in Gloucester which, as it is just up the road, had to be visited.

Here's a picture of Willard's sculpture, set in the eye of a needle:

View attachment 536289
Once saw a documentary in which he was the subject. Fascinating to hear his life story, but most of all to see the painstaking effort and patience, and the intricate skill he brings to his art. Seem to remember him using an eyelash as a brush.

Send him your photo and he might update his sculpture to include your bike ;)

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Once saw a documentary in which he was the subject. Fascinating to hear his life story, but most of all to see the painstaking effort and patience, and the intricate skill he brings to his art. Seem to remember him using an eyelash as a brush.

Send him your photo and he might update his sculpture to include your bike ;)

Having seen some pics of his works I find it amazing that it is possible, it really is incredible what he does.

According to the wiki page he wasn't particularly pleased with the church sculpture, perhaps adding a bike might improve it in his eyes.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Having seen some pics of his works I find it amazing that it is possible, it really is incredible what he does.

According to the wiki page he wasn't particularly pleased with the church sculpture, perhaps adding a bike might improve it in his eyes.
It's far from the conventional, polished, celebrational TED Talk, but his is well worth a listen:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBKV4rOgSJU

Queen Camel church today, photographed as I collected Q in the alphabet challenge.

View attachment 536285

Unusual to see a Classical porch on a Gothic church. I'm sure there's a story behind this!

View attachment 536286
Works quite well i think? Those clerestory lights are neat :okay:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
3 from my ride a couple of Sunday's ago.

1st- Swaffham Prior near Newmarket has two churches in the same churchyard- St Mary's and St Cyriac and St Julitta (the 2nd is a bit obscured by the trees)

2nd- St Andrews West Dereham (Near Downham Market, Norfolk)

3rd- At the end of my ride- This one doesn't count as I neglected to get my bike in the shot (must try harder!) but it's a lovely and enormous Norfolk church- St Mary's at North Creake near Wells. I was stood by the bike when I took it though- honest!

Top Bottom