Your Bike in front of a Church

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
2020_09_13_Metric_ton_Freiburg_37.JPG

My bike in front of the Otilienkapelle in Feldkirch, in the flatlands of the Rhine valley to the south of Freiburg.

As the door was open I had a look inside:

2020_09_13_Metric_ton_Freiburg_38.JPG

tyred

Legendary Member
50350302097_89483fc864_o.jpg
I don't actually know what this church was called.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Ruishton St Andrew's, just outside Taunton. I have cycled past the lane that leads to this church dozens of times and decided to have a look today. Glad I did.

View attachment 547889

Ha - that's a rather splendid if seemingly truncated Somerset tower! If you're into Somerset towers, the book on them by Poyntz Wright is a wonderful analysis of their development from 1350-1550. I really must get to North Petherton sometime - one of the most fabulous examples.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Ha - that's a rather splendid if seemingly truncated Somerset tower! If you're into Somerset towers, the book on them by Poyntz Wright is a wonderful analysis of their development from 1350-1550. I really must get to North Petherton sometime - one of the most fabulous examples.
Thanks for that!

North Petherton is a wonderful church. Taart cafe across the road is pretty good too!

All uphill

Still rolling along
I just looked that up: it's barely a kilometre from the Hälfords store I used to work at, but I never knew it was there.
Wow! I didn't realise you had links here.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Here is St Andrew, Churcham, Gloucestershire taken on my ride this afternoon.

This is the church where Alfred Henry Hook V.C. of Rorke's Drift fame is buried.

The wiki page about him makes interesting reading. Far from the insubordinate malingerer he was portrayed as in the film Zulu, he was by all accounts a model soldier and apparently received good conduct pay in his earlier military service. It also says his by then elderley daughters walked out of the film premiere, so offended were they at his portrayal in the film.

Anyway, here's three more photos, the white cross in the bottom right of the first is on his grave, the second is of his grave and the third is the inscription on the cross.

Top Bottom