Your Bike in front of a Church

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

Two from my rides this year

20171015_100053.jpg

St Micheal And All Angels church Croft

20171008_103024.jpg

Church of St mary's OldBerrow

Last edited by a moderator:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
St Peter's at Thorner this morning
IMG_20171224_104423901-ANIMATION.gif

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Stoke. The village between Hartland and Hartland Quay on the North Devon/North Cornwall border.

One of the biggest churches to smallest village ratios I've ever stumbled across, which serves to show the power and influence the church used to have.

Devon has a lot of dispersed communities rather than nucleated villages, so the church would have served quite a large area.

Custom24

Über Member
I would but I worry about catching on fire if I loiter long enough for a photograph.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
From this morning, Newbourne Church
View attachment 388535
Blimey, that's some buttressing there. Just as well, given the angle ;)

Actually, made me think of Temple Church in Bristol, where my great grandfather was choimaster for ages. After it was bombed in the war, the demolition team was about to blow up the tower as they thought it was dangerous, until it was pointed out that it had been leaning for a few centuries before the war (Wikipedia photo again)...

Temple_Church%2C_Bristol.jpg

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Blimey, that's some buttressing there. Just as well, given the angle ;)

Actually, made me think of Temple Church in Bristol, where my great grandfather was choimaster for ages. After it was bombed in the war, the demolition team was about to blow up the tower as they thought it was dangerous, until it was pointed out that it had been leaning for a few centuries before the war (Wikipedia photo again)...

View attachment 388645
Haha, I know that this is OT, but I was looking at the photo of Temple Church, and assumed the slight 'curve' as down to the photo. But no... seem that they started building the tower in 1390, but after two stages it started to lean, so they stopped. In 1460 they decided to finish it off, but tried to build it vertically from the wonky bottom. Hence the curve. Pisa? Pah, I think this is better.

Top Bottom