Your bike in front of a col sign

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Julia9054

Guru
Not the best picture. Definitely the best scenery I have ever cycled through ever.

20230814_113251.jpg

OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
A really annoying col - it's dead pretty, but it's hard to take a nice photo of the col sign.

DSC02977.jpg

OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Ah, a first for me - two of my bikes in front of a col sign... I had a friend over for just a few days, and it didn't seem worth hiring one. At first he rode the Falcon, but since the friend is nearly half my age, I took pity on him, and I lugged it up this col.

I still beat him though, weight, mudguards and pannier rack notwithstanding 😁

coldlx.jpg

OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
I'm sure I've done this one before, but don't think I've lined up the two separate signs... BTW, there should be a grave accent on the e of 'Carabès', and it's pronounced 'Carabess' - a lot of the local place names have retained the sounding of final esses, in places such as Charens and Mens, and in both of those, the -ens sound is more like a nasal "aangss", not '"on". Just in case you ever get lost here and need to ask for directions to either of those places...

DSC03806.jpg

OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Sorry, bad form as it's not just my bike (I didn't take one of the bike by itself, oops), but this modest col still amuses me... higher than the highest mountain in England, yet it only merits a bodge-job painted sign. I'll be rather sad if they do ever replace it with a posh shiny one. Oh, the other pleasing thing was it definitively said "Fermé" on both sides of the col, but being a cyclist and knowing the road well enough, I ignored it.

DSC05193.jpg

Vertego

Just reflecting on the meaning of life.
Sorry, bad form as it's not just my bike (I didn't take one of the bike by itself, oops), but this modest col still amuses me... higher than the highest mountain in England, yet it only merits a bodge-job painted sign. I'll be rather sad if they do ever replace it with a posh shiny one. Oh, the other pleasing thing was it definitively said "Fermé" on both sides of the col, but being a cyclist and knowing the road well enough, I ignored it.

View attachment 726221

Perhaps if they ever get round to replacing the sign (no guarantees that'll ever happen!), they will let you have the old sign, Brian, for posterity.

As for ignoring the 'Fermé' signs, us cyclists are good at that :laugh:.

OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Perhaps if they ever get round to replacing the sign (no guarantees that'll ever happen!), they will let you have the old sign, Brian, for posterity.

As for ignoring the 'Fermé' signs, us cyclists are good at that :laugh:.

Ha, no, it belongs in a museum!!

Still my favourite sign ever was on a mainish road, between St Jean-en-Royans and Léoncel, which said (translated), "Road closed - even for cyclists".

Top Bottom