1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your Bike in front of a "Folly"

Discussion in 'Photo Gallery' started by Tizme, 9 Jan 2018.

1. Tizme

Tizme Senior Member

Not sure if this is really a Folly, but far too grand to be "just" the [former] entrance to a farm:
    At Redlynch, 'twixt Bruton and Wincanton (Somerset)

But this IS a Folly:

King Alfred’s Tower is a 160ft (49m) high folly, designed by Henry Flitcroft for Henry Hoare II in 1772. It is believed to mark the site where King Alfred the Great rallied his troops in 878. The tower commemorates the accession of George III to the throne in 1760 and the end of the Seven Years War.
    Part of Stourhead NT land.
    Not the best of days to photo it!

Attached Files:

2. i hate hills

i hate hills Done done on to the next one..........

My i say what an impressive looking mount that is ........
  3. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

My Ian May by the folly on spectacle lane , Moulton .

This what i can find about it : Gate arch. Probably mid C18. Regular coursed lias. Pointed arch with stepped gable over, flanked by tall circular turrets with castellations. Pair of iron gates in archway. Possibly erected as one of a range of similar follies on the Boughton Hall estate.

Last edited: 10 Jan 2018
    grecinos, dave r, Tizme and 2 others like this.
  4. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

Not just A folly but The Folly

5. tyred

tyred Legendary Member

I remember reading Agatha Christie's Dead Man's Folly many years ago and wondered what a folly actually was. Now I think I know!
    biggs682 likes this.
  6. Not a folly, but a lot of people seemingly think it is, hence my inclusion
    Steeton Hall Gate-House
    South Milford
    I generally pass by, on the way home, after calling at 'Squires'

Rides. Steeton Hall. 1.JPG Road-Trip. 3.JPG

This, on the other hand is a folly
    Not my bike, but lots of bikes
    1992 World Cyclo-Cross Championships
    Roundhay Park

Roger Hammond took the win there!!!
    It's taken 'us' 25 years to get another CX world title, with Tom Pidcock, who........................... lives (parents do) in Roundhay!!

Hammmond. 31.jpg
    Tizme likes this.
  7. OP

Tizme Senior Member

Now I feel guilty, I was going to take a trip out to get a photo of Cranmore Tower today, but the cold and my hip still sore from yesterdays (abysmally short) ride made me lazy. Still, the good news is that I only have a maximum of 10 weeks to wait for my left hip to be replaced - balance the right one replaced two years ago! Two new hips before I reach 61, 4 years ago I was still qualifying "Good For Age" for the London Marathon!