Not sure if this is really a Folly, but far too grand to be "just" the [former] entrance to a farm: At Redlynch, 'twixt Bruton and Wincanton (Somerset) But this IS a Folly: King Alfred’s Tower is a 160ft (49m) high folly, designed by Henry Flitcroft for Henry Hoare II in 1772. It is believed to mark the site where King Alfred the Great rallied his troops in 878. The tower commemorates the accession of George III to the throne in 1760 and the end of the Seven Years War. Part of Stourhead NT land. Not the best of days to photo it!