Your bike in front of a nice/interesting tree

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
A tree that has been dead for as long as I can remember riding past the field it's in .

gtmet

Über Member
Did you check out the Small leaved Lime the other side of the Church. Its a huge, fabulous tree, but most people miss it.

On a previous visit, by the time I got there I had forgotten what species I had gone to see, so I checked out most of the trees, before giving up and taking out the map to find out which corner it was in and that it was a chestnut. The famous geriatric chestnut is not the most impressive or the most obvious on the site, being tucked away in the back right corner. You can probably see the lime over the roof of the church in my church picture (View attachment 593093), but here it is on a couple of unimpressive photos with an old camera phone, taken for identification:
Although I think the camera phone picture of the chestnut may be better than the one in the my post that you referred to:

No doubt someone will pass by shortly and bring us a better picture of the lime.

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
This tree marks the start of a local 10 mile TT course

gtmet

Über Member
Did you check out the Small leaved Lime the other side of the Church. Its a huge, fabulous tree, but most people miss it.
... in the vicinity of a tree in the prime of life. By request, the small leaved lime (Tilia cordata) on the other side of Saint Leonard's, Tortworth.
210823-3155  Tortworth St Leonard-Small Leaved Lime-leaves.JPG

606085 606083

Disappointingly, my tree book suggests that the heavy branching and non-conical shape mean that this too is getting old.

Last edited:

Gillstay

Über Member
Fantastic, That is a proper tree, not like some of the shrubs we have seen ! Yes it is mature, but has many, many years to go yet.

As a rough guess we thought it was about 110 ft high.

Top Bottom