Your bike in front of some water - pictures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
It's a thing apparently. There's some bridge in Paris that has 1000s attached to it as a romantic gesture.

I think though an old railway viaduct in Preston Lancashire doesn't have the same nuance!

The first time I was really aware of it was in 2013 when I was in Cologne. The rail bridge with pedestrian walkway over the Rhine was covered in them. Must have been 10s of thousands.

In fact about 40,000 according to This.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
It's a thing apparently. There's some bridge in Paris that has 1000s attached to it as a romantic gesture.

I think though an old railway viaduct in Preston Lancashire doesn't have the same nuance!

Yes, that is where I first observed it.

It now appears to be a regular "feature" of many UK bridges.

Must be all those school trips to Europe. ;)

The first time I was really aware of it was in 2013 when I was in Cologne. The rail bridge with pedestrian walkway over the Rhine was covered in them. Must have been 10s of thousands.

Yes, it's pretty extreme there, I think the local government occasionally sends someone to cut a few off, not least because 40,000 padlocks must weigh a bit.

You can apparently now buy appropriately decorated locks specifically for hanging on a bridge or similar, egads.

Alex321

Veteran
Yes, it's pretty extreme there, I think the local government occasionally sends someone to cut a few off, not least because 40,000 padlocks must weigh a bit.

You can apparently now buy appropriately decorated locks specifically for hanging on a bridge or similar, egads.

Apparently only a couple of tonnes, according to that article.

FrothNinja

Veteran

Seems to be a low cost alternative to getting married (ie public declaration of a permanent binding) according to the article

gtmet

Über Member
Look, there, see, that almost shiny patch to the right of the post. Water!

221003-0737 Nupdown-dry rhine-sovereign.JPG

Nupdown.

tyred

Legendary Member
Where ducks have priority!

IMG_20221007_163657.jpg

Top Bottom