Your bike in front of some water - pictures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gtmet

Über Member
Water, water everywhere.

The equinoctial tide unites Sea Mills harbour and Station Road:

240312-5164 Sea Mills Equinox Highest tide 0843-view Station Road -harbour.JPG

Mid March in the Somerset Levels: "February Fill Dyke woz 'ere".

240318-5248 Jack Drove view flooded fields-sovereign.JPG

Last edited:

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
One of Topsham's beaches...

DSC04759.jpg

I was looking for a member's bikes thread ... maybe I didn't look hard enough!

Anyway, this is my 'going to town' bike, often referred to as GAS PIPE HYBRID on account that it is quite heavy. It is used for a wide variety of other things aside from going to town and over the last 6 months it has helped be regain a lot of fitness, being comfortable so far for rides of up to 50 miles.

It is a Ridgeback Adventure 503CS which dates from about 1995. It looks to have been originally sold by Henry Burton Cycles in Stafford (UK)

I have owned it for the last ten years, having bought it unmarked and hardly used with mudguards, rear rack, rear panniers and a set of lights for the princely sum of £150. It has a Chromoly steel frame, Shimano Altus hubs, Shimano Acera X derailleurs, Shimano cantilever rim brakes and thankfully, a previous owner replaced the original grip shift shifters with some rapid fire shifters.

I've changed a few things, like adding the cheap bar ends, the Specialized Body Geometry saddle and pedals. It did have SPD pedals but the Q-factor on those wider cranks gives me knee pain. Riding flats means I can get my feet in the right position to avoid that.

I have also equipped with a kick stand which is very handy when loading or unloading the trailer and a decent mudflap. All good bikes have at least one mudflap.

In fairness, the trailer cost a lot more than the bike! My other bike is probably far more drool worthy, and although this one might be slower, it's practical and lets me lug stuff to the tip.

In the background is the flood plain of the River Penk. So much water around ... been like this for some time now!

IMG_20240329_145819.jpg

Last edited:

tyred

Legendary Member
Lough Swilly

IMG_20240329_150747.jpg

Top Bottom