Your bike in front of something different...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Hayfield sheep wash:

Small_IMG_2137_large.jpg

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
I couldn't even tell you what my bike was in front of today except its used to ferry people to spurn point and then back down to the visitors centre. I remember riding it as a kid, glad it's still going.
Q plate suggests something built and pieced together, hopefully someone more informed will shed some light.
EDIT: Quick Google suggests it's a unimog.
20220509_122156.jpg

I couldn't even tell you what my bike was in front of today except its used to ferry people to spurn point and then back down to the visitors centre. I remember riding it as a kid, glad it's still going.
Q plate suggests something built and pieced together, hopefully someone more informed will shed some light.
EDIT: Quick Google suggests it's a unimog.
View attachment 643942

It's a Unimog; they're made by Mercedes and are popular with the military and anyone else who has to drive in unusual conditions. I think they were originally produced to bridge the gap between a tractor and a truck as German farmers sometimes have to drive a long way on roads.

This is a fairly old version, newer ones are vaguely streamlined for some reason.

Willd

Veteran
A nod to Ansley's mining heritage :smile:

2022-05-14 10.57.06.jpg

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Lovely pic.

I'm suddenly struck by the irony that I spent a lot of my early childhood in mining communities, yet my kids probably wouldn't know a winding tower if they saw it.

A variation on that theme. We live in an (ex) mining area. I took my two grandsons (then age 9 and 10), to Beamish Museum, where they have a coal seam exhibit. Grandsons listened carefully, but, could not quite grasp that we used to burn “stones”, to keep warm. ;)

gtmet

Über Member
A variation on that theme. We live in an (ex) mining area. I took my two grandsons (then age 9 and 10), to Beamish Museum, where they have a coal seam exhibit. Grandsons listened carefully, but, could not quite grasp that we used to burn “stones”, to keep warm. ;)

The young have it easy, but only the very young. Our children, now in their thirties, vividly remember the inconvenience of their grandparents coal burning house, the dust, the inconvenience, the icy blasts away from the fire....

Top Bottom