Your bike in front of something different...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
From another thread, my Kirk Precision in front of the former Kirk factory:

precision-01-jpg.jpg

I used to know/ride with, two brothers who both had Kirks

One had the roadie, the other the MTB

D

Deleted member 26715

MBIFO A route that ridewithgps and Wahoo thought was a good idea..
Looks like my kind of place to ride

booze and cake

probably out cycling
From another thread, my Kirk Precision in front of the former Kirk factory:

View attachment 469271

And my Kuota in front of a rather splendid advert in York. I clearly need more nightly Bile Beans...

View attachment 469172

Wow that Kirk is a great looking build, what/where was the the other thread it was mentioned on? I'd like to read more.

What's your verdict on the L-shaped cranks, can you notice any different riding characteristics to standard ones? Wasn't it supposed to reduce or eliminate the dead-spot at the 12 o'clock/6 o'clock positions while pedalling or something? Not that I can say I've ever really noticed having a dead-spot on the pedal stroke, so I always assumed it was just something cooked up by the marketing department, and if it really was beneficial I would have expected it to have caught on instead of disappearing.

They look good with the convention defying frame anyway, top work I like it:okay:

Wow that Kirk is a great looking build, what/where was the the other thread it was mentioned on? I'd like to read more.

What's your verdict on the L-shaped cranks, can you notice any different riding characteristics to standard ones? Wasn't it supposed to reduce or eliminate the dead-spot at the 12 o'clock/6 o'clock positions while pedalling or something? Not that I can say I've ever really noticed having a dead-spot on the pedal stroke, so I always assumed it was just something cooked up by the marketing department, and if it really was beneficial I would have expected it to have caught on instead of disappearing.

They look good with the convention defying frame anyway, top work I like it:okay:

Thanks! The original thread was here, where having realised I was walking backwards into a collection of Essex-built bikes, I wanted to add a KP to the stable.

The L-shaped cranks make absolutely no physical difference whatsoever to the pedal stroke. ^_^ They were indeed meant to eliminate the dead spot at 12 o'clock, but were purest 1980s marketing fluff, making it appear that when your foot is at 12 o'clock the force is somehow being applied at a different angle. In reality, it's exactly the same lever as a straight crank, but follows a more circuitous path to the fulcrum. (If the cranks were made from 350mm diameter aluminium disks or S-shapes or Z shapes, it would make no difference to the pedal's axle position in relation to the fulcrum.) I dare say they had a psychosomatic effect though - if they feel faster, they probably make you go faster. Imagine what would happen if you fitted them on a red bike!

Interestingly, when I picked the bike up, it had oval Shimano Biopace cranks, which actually did make a difference (albeit a different difference to the modern Q-rings, which are 90-degrees rotated compared to the earlier Biopace). As a result of being not just different but both different and effective, they had to go! :okay:

pjd57

Veteran
IMG_20190607_114911233_HDR.jpg
outside Buchanan Street bus station, Glasgow

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I bow to your superior knowledge.. :smile:

I couldn't see what was living in it, so I kinda guessed.

It was @Rickshaw Phil that told me
I had an errand to run today which was a about 16 miles away, it is such a lovely day I thought I'd ride the roady out. A route I've never ridden before and I haven't been on the bike for a couple of weeks, it was a bit lumpy but very quiet country lanes for all but half mile each way where I had to ride on the treacherous A34 where more vehicle passed me on one half mile stretch than on the rest of the route put together. A stunning day and 33.4 miles.

View attachment 353866

View attachment 353867

What on earth is going on here?

View attachment 353868

Boxford Cemetry

View attachment 353869

Boxford Church

View attachment 353870

Some cows in the background grazing in Boxford.

View attachment 353871

Camera Shy

View attachment 353872

Didcot Cooling Towers from The Ridgeway.

View attachment 353865

A lumpy ride.

It's caterpillars. Possibly Orchard Ermine Moth caterpillars which are known for covering whole hedgerows like this.

Top Bottom