Your bike in front of something different...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not just any fence.

avecReynolds531

Veteran

A tea stop on the Pilgrims Way & part of National Cycle Route 17. Just to the left of the nearest handrail,

is this wooden sculpture of a resting Pilgrim - it's still a long way to Canterbury.

Your starter for 3 and a half.

What's this in front of?

View attachment 518818
OK - the answer.
The railings - in Peckham/Camberwell - are made out of old WW2 civil defence stretchers.
Towards the end of each section you can see dips - those were the "feet" to stand them on/keep the injured off the ground when they were laid on the ground
Hundreds of thousands were made and this was a very clever way of using them when the war ended. Many railings of course had been removed at the beginning of the war as a metal gathering initiative - stumps are seen all over the country.
There are a few of these railings still remaining in various bits of south London - also some in east london I think.

avecReynolds531

Veteran
OK - the answer.
The railings - in Peckham/Camberwell - are made out of old WW2 civil defence stretchers.
Towards the end of each section you can see dips - those were the "feet" to stand them on/keep the injured off the ground when they were laid on the ground
Hundreds of thousands were made and this was a very clever way of using them when the war ended. Many railings of course had been removed at the beginning of the war as a metal gathering initiative - stumps are seen all over the country.
There are a few of these railings still remaining in various bits of south London - also some in east london I think.
Excellent local history, thanks.

In front of something rather useless.

Opposite Royal Artillery base, Woolwich.

The sign:

I'm no military strategist but it sounds a tad heavy for such a limited range and looks far from mobile. I could imagine it being over-run and turned round on its owners. Must have been a hell of a job to move quickly. Assume some military contractor made a healthy cost plus profit on it.

Top Bottom