Your bike in lockdown

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
A local road in April 2020. Where have the cars gone?

One way to use the time enjoyably; the start of my Phillips fixie build.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
March 24th - the day after the lockdown was announced and this is what greeted visitors to Alton Water reservoir
Alton Water, Stutton.jpg

April 5th and Boris had just re-enforced the stay at home message. Early afternoon and the road along the seafront in Felixstowe was desserted deserted - usually there's few parking spaces even on the gloomy days (picture taken while sat on the bike)
Sea Road - Lockdown in effect.jpg

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
March 24th - the day after the lockdown was announced and this is what greeted visitors to Alton Water reservoir
View attachment 626573
April 5th and Boris had just re-enforced the stay at home message. Early afternoon and the road along the seafront in Felixstowe was desserted - usually there's few parking spaces even on the gloomy days (picture taken while sat on the bike)
View attachment 626574

I can’t see any trifles along the sea front 😒

Solocle

Über Member
Oop, I missed 11th April 2020.
The A road dog walkers three abreast.
1642201060423.jpeg

After a hello I worked my way to, then up, Bulbarrow Hill. Lovely day.
1642201116194.jpeg

1642201130138.jpeg

10th July 2020 and I did a Veloviewer tiling ride. Had I waited another 6 months this would have been trivial, as I moved to Poole! But I covered BCP well before that.
1642201280408.jpeg

1642201301517.jpeg

1642201316841.jpeg

13th September saw me return to my first ever ride destination, and complete my "big push". And a ride on the A34.
1642201431343.jpeg

1642201457987.jpeg

1642201494389.png

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I remember when I finally did venture out on the roads again, in June, it was as if there was some kind of cycling event on. The roads were absolutely packed with bloody cyclists.

Beautiful photos. Just impressed how much the quality of camera phones have evolved.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
I remember when I finally did venture out on the roads again, in June, it was as if there was some kind of cycling event on. The roads were absolutely packed with bloody cyclists.
I would have gone into town when it was all locked - very very strange - pretty much no-one there on the fair few times I cycled round central london - such scenes will never be seen again barring a nuclear strike - just homeless folk really - I well remember Trafalgar Square being left to them - the Met doing a very good sympathtic job from what I saw before their bosses decided to pander to power.

OP
OP
Blue Hills

May 8 2020 again, Burghers of Calais statue, Victoria Tower Gardens (Parliament in background)
I remember this particularly well - a group of folk marched in a sort of phalanx very clearly across the green together - seemed they were very deliberately flouting the regulations to make a point. Didn't see any Met officers around to challenge them so their reg-breaking demo kinda failed - maybe the Met were busy ferrying/signing off nibbles etc just up the road.
No idea who the demo folk were - definitely a deliberate disciplined provocation.

Full panniers as on all my lockdown wanderings.

Mr Celine

Discordian

04/04/20. A68, Lilliardsedge. Avoid if possible, except in lockdown.

10/04/20. A7, Groundistone Heights. Avoid if possible, except in lockdown.

15/04/20. A68, Carter Bar. Ordinarily you'd be at risk not just from close passes but from the diesel fumes being spewed out by lorries on the climb to the summit. This photo may have been illegal as I'm standing on the Englandshire side of the border. Home is just behind the two hills on the centre horizon.

26/04/20. A7, Heriot. On an earlier lockdown ride I'd ridden the 19 miles home from here all on the A7, the main road between Edinburgh and the central borders, and been overtaken by one supermarket truck, one motorcycle and three cars.

20/05/20. Looking towards Coldstream Bridge and England. The Strava ride -

I saw no evidence of parties on this ride, which took in the A697, another fast road to be avoided normally. But who would have a party on a Wednesday?

Same ride, B6350, Redden Toll. This ride may also have been illegal.

Top Bottom