Your bike on a bridge pics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
You can still get a bike through the barrier chicanes, but it's a bit tight. Especially in the pitch dark!

chriswoody

Legendary Member
This Summer on a narrow suspension bridge over the Soca River in Slovenia.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Tuesday 8th October 2013
A1 (now downgraded, due to the 'new' A1)

Looking down at 'Hartleys Bridge', which carried the Great North Road, over the River Aire, at Ferrybridge

View attachment 414806

Sunday 20th August 2017
Cock Beck
Scene of the bloodiest battle on English soil, in the War Of The Roses
https://www.towton.org.uk/the-battle-2/

I was following the old route of the pre-170 Tadcaster - Ferrybridge TurnPike (where it joined the 'Great North Road')
Here, it's still the Old London Road
View attachment 414812

'Stanley Ferry Trash Screen Bridge'
Spanning the River Calder
The concrete structure (down-stream) is the 2nd Aquaduct here - #1 is Grade 1 listed (just visible, to extreme right of frame)
View attachment 414813

Normal river levels are 12-15 foot below this bridge, but in flood the river will back-up at the aquaduct & rise above the railings, filling this deck with flotsam
As seen here, on Saturday 26th December 2015 (the same day Tadcaster Bridge partially collapsed)
View attachment 414815
An old thread I know but I’ve just seen your post! @Richard A Thackeray do you know any history on London Road, Towton? I often cross the wooden bridge over Cock Beck, I live less than a mile away but I can’t get my head around it ever been a road to London, it seems far too narrow in parts and it certainly isn’t the flattest routes.

Last edited:
An old thread I know but I’ve just seen your post! @Richard A Thackeray do you know any history on London Road, Towton? I often cross the wooden bridge over Cock Beck, I live less than a mile away but I can’t get my head around it ever been a road to London, it seems far too narrow in parts and it certainly isn’t the flattest routes.

@Spiderweb
It's a good route, it was the route before the TurnPiking of what is now the Tadcaster - Brotherton road
Obviously, the encroachment of the trees/farming/etc... wasn't the same back then

Try this site for some information; http://www.tadhistory.org.uk/OLRTAP/index.html

I've just re-read that, & it's interesting that they suggest a road crossed Kettlemans Bridge, now almost hidden in trees! (& nowhere near a water course)

KiterStu

81AB372B-EC5B-4292-B631-D64C727E0867.jpeg
Is under a bridge allowed? 😎

Top Bottom