Your cycling gap years

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martinclive

Über Member
Tom Jones made me do it
2011 - he was at newmarket races - I was trying to avoid having to take 2 cars so I cycled to work and my wife picked me up to go there
I did a few more runs and she insisted I bought a helmet - so i did - and a new bike to go with it
20,000km later.......................

Usual tale for me. Rode everywhere as a child/teenager/student but only as cheap transport, had no real interest in cycling. Got a job/car in early twenties and stopped for 20+ years. Then got given a bso about 8 years ago and it's just escalated from there.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Equally, learnt in the 70's, don't remember what on I know at one point I had something like a Chipper, bright orange baby brother to the Chopper by Raleigh and definitely not a Budgie. Learnt not to lock the front wheel on gravel on that one. Also had a Grifter (one of the first ones when they only came in red or blue) and they did weigh a ton. Bought my first drop bar bike in the mid 80's, again some no-name brand from the LBS in Rainham, Kent. at 15/16 this was my freedom to go everywhere until I either out grew it or broke it, because I definitely remember having to use my mothers shopper for a while. Then I got in to cars and ignored bikes for a couple of years. My old man appeared with a purple completely unbadged mountain bike he'd bought off a bloke in the pub for a tenner (looking back, almost definitely nicked) and I started riding that a bit. In to my 20's and was engaged, living 7 or 8 miles from work and commuted the purple thing, probably to get thinner for the wedding. Got married, went on a fortnights honeymoon, came back to winter, didn't touch the bike for weeks, then months, then got in to motorbikes.

Motorbike accident saw me unable to do much beyond walk around slowly due to constant back pain which ended up taking about a decade to sort out and couldn't have considered a bicycle if I'd wanted to. Lots of inactivity, lots of weight gain. The purple thing went to the tip around 2008 in a clear out 'if I need a bike, I'll buy another bike' I still kind of regret that, it had lots of good memories and did what it did well enough and once I learnt what the spec meant, I found it had been pretty well kitted out. It would just be called a hybrid now anyway. Did an imperial century on it one year on the sponsored church ride.

2012 with the Olympics coming up and I was already walking a lot more and watching my weight (still well in to triple figure kg's though) and the parking restrictions around Greenwich were so draconian that I wouldn't be able to drive and walk for months. Bought a second hand hardtail Mongoose off ebay on advice from a friend. First 3 mile ride almost killed me. The Child was now in their teens and riding and just ran rings around me. But I kept at it until I could do the loop, then a bit more, then the 7 miles I'd worked out to get to work. Used the Mongoose for a year until it was stolen, replaced on cyclescheme with the Sirrus and carried on from there.

I have medical issues going on at the moment (nothing like some on here) which make it a bit of a grind, nowhere near the fun it was last year, but I'm determined to keep doing miles and not stop this time.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Also had a Grifter (one of the first ones when they only came in red or blue) and they did weigh a ton.
I really don't remember the Grifter weighing a ton, either at the time or when I moved on to racing bikes. Did they vary over time or by model, or did I just not notice because all my bikes until then weighed a ton?

andyfraser

Über Member
I only noticed how heavy my Grifter was when I compared it directly to some friends bikes. It never stopped me though. I don't really remember my Winner being much lighter though.

nobbyp

I had something like a Chipper, bright orange baby brother to the Chopper by Raleigh and definitely not a Budgie.

A Budgie - I forgot about them - I didn't have one myself but it was the bike I learnt to ride on - I wasn't allowed stabilisers or anything like that so I was plonked on the back of this orange machine by my elder brothers and set off down a hill - either fall off or stay upright - god bless the 1970's - I'd probably be put in care nowadays with such a lack of care for Elf n Safety

midlife

Guru
I remember when the Grifter was launched, the Raleigh reps were made to ride them around the big stage in their suits and they hated it.

Yes, it weighed a ton !

Shaun

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The Grifter weighed a ton and the mudguard broke too easily.

bikeman66

I got off a bike sometime in 1983 and didn't get on again until 1996. It was a 1972 Pontiac Lemans that seduced me away, then a move to a new country and an urge to explore it under my own steam that brought me back. (I was so impatient to get going that within a month of buying my hybrid I rode it from London to Fort William just so I could hike up Ben Nevis and shout Hallelujah! I'm born again! closer to the heavens. Or something like that.)

How do you explain your gap years, if you had any, and what brought you back to the fold?
Cycled pretty much all the time and everywhere as a kid/teenager, on pretty much all kinds of bikes, including my mums old Vindec shopper, various rat bikes made from frames from the dump with a pair of cow horn bars, a beauty of a Raleigh Chopper (which I still own), and two fantastic racers (at the time) a fine Peugeot (Equipe, I seem to remember) with snazzy chromed lower fork legs and lower seat stays, and a Viscount (which I absolutely bloody loved, and rode into the ground).

Upon turning sixteen in 1982, and having got myself an apprenticeship in the building trade, I went out and spent the princely sum of £351.00 on a brand spanking new 50cc Honda MB5. Apart from getting me to and from work, I was certain that this magnificent red speed machine (all the terrifying 36mph of it anyway) would have the girls queuing at my door (it didn't)! My bikes gradually got pushed further and further to the back of the garage until they (apart from the Chopper) and the Honda were all sold to pay for my first car (a 1972 Hillman Imp), a bargain at £250.00.

In all honesty, that is pretty well where my cycling days well and truly got put on the back burner, having passed my driving test in January 84, I didn't ride another bike until my brother in-law turned up at our house in 1993 on a Raleigh Amazon MTB. "What an absolute beauty" I thought. A visit to Halfords that afternoon, and a lightening of the wallet by about £200 and I was king of the road (and the mountain) I marvelled in the fact that this awesome machine had 21....yes, 21 gears!

Probably no more than a couple of months went by before I found myself in a bike shop (probably only for something as mundane as an inner tube) when I spotted it......an end of season deal on quite the sexiest bike I had ever seen, a 1993 Kona Lava Dome. I divorced the Raleigh Amazon without a second thought. Me and the Kona (which still sits in my garage and overall is still my favourite bike) spent years together. We've ridden 1000's of miles across trails, in XC races, trailquest events etc etc.

The arrival of kids, steered my attention away from cycling again, apart from the odd jaunt with a two year old on a tag-along attached to the Kona (sacrilege), until I was bitten by the cycling bug for a third time in 2006, when the good lady treated me to a lovely Scott Reflex 20 MTB as a 40th birthday present. It has never had the kind of use (and abuse) that the Lava Dome did, but it's certainly done me proud on the trails and for ferrying me to and from my other passion, rowing.

With the kids taking up rowing too, and with the amount of kit we seem to have to take with us, the Scott was temporarily retired to the garage in favour of the Mass Transit Device (........errrrrr, a Ford Transit, in fact).

Fast forward to August 2014. We are on a family holiday in Provence and end up driving up Mont Ventoux. An almost constant line of cyclists climbing the mountain ignites something inside me, and for whatever reason I announced to the Mrs and the kids that I was going to ride the mountain before I was 50! Got home and bought myself a nice Felt F95, my first road bike in over 30 years, and although not the lightest or highest specced machine, a bike that I absolutely love riding. Fast forward again to April 28th 2015.............and I kept my word, riding to the top of Ventoux (with 13 months to spare).

Cycling has always been part of my life. Sometimes it has had to take a bit of a back seat, other times it has been right up there. Probably been responsible for some of the best times I've had and this time around it is here to stay, to the point where I am in the process of research potential cycling based business project at the moment.

Great original post, and I've really enjoyed reading some of the other takes and accounts in reply.

Tojo

Über Member
My Dad plonked me on a bike when I was about 4yrs old and I couldn't get my balance, so he ordered some stabilizers, but by the time they arrived, I didn't need them, after a few years all my mates had choppers and I wanted one but my Dad, having raced bikes when he was younger wouldn't get me one and said he'd get me a proper bike, I was miffed at at the time but not for long as he got me a wee road bike, he was right I loved it and have never looked back he even diverted me in my early teens from spending my money on girls when I realised what the opposite sex was all about by getting me a hand built road frame , so my funds went into buying the best components I could afford to build it, needless to say girlfriends didn't last long...!.
Even though I did buy a MTB later on, when I got it he looked at it and I thought he was going to say WTF but he said "good choice for the winter riding and keep your road bike good and service it for Spring" I was gob-smacked, still got the old Orang Clockwork, still love it, but road bikes 2 at the minute and 6 wheelsets....got to upgrade..Passion,,,,;)

Top Bottom