Your cycling gap years

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
Rode everywhere as a kid and was outdoors all the time. None of this internet rubbish back then! Loved BMXing and then got a "racer" in my teens. Stopped riding when I got my 1st motorbike at 17 and then two years later a car. That was 1990 and I didn't get back on a bike until 2002. This was, however, a necessity rather than a conscious decision as I "mislaid" my driving license for a year. It was bloody hard work as I drank like a fish and smoked like a chimney at the time.
I then got fat and decided to get back on a bike in 2008. Gave up the fags and the beer, lost some weight and decided I was never going back there. Best thing I ever did. :smile:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Had cycled all over the place as a kid from about the age of 7; playing, cycling up the A6 to Lyme Park, getting the weekly shop, collecting big bags of sawdust for my dad who bred hamsters, etc. We moved house when I was 15 to the the top of a very steep hill, but my school didn't change. So I had a 6 mile each way ride in all weather, which included a steep road called Brabyns Brow. Even after descending it on the way home, I had another steep hill to get home. So by the time I left school,the joy of riding had left my legs.
Work and marriage intervened, before I bought another bike about 20 years later, in the late 80's.

bikeman66

Inspired by the tales of all your cycling gap years, and reading about various bikes you guys have owned (and maybe still do own), I ventured down to the shed today and dug out the Raleigh Chopper featured in my own reply earlier in this thread.

Actually quite fired to get to work with the tool kit and see if I can make some headway with restoring this genuine 1972 beauty. Without this thread, it would, scandalously, probably still be in that shed. Still love this bike as much as I did back in the day!
DSCF5066.JPG

Chris Norton

Rode everywhere when I was a kid. Started racing at 16 with time trials, moved away to hillier area, kept racing. Got absolutly destroyed in time trials even when I felt good and against guys I thought would never beat me. Speed seemed to be the reason (not mph). So I indulged, got serious about speed and less about cycling. 20 years passed and life changed.

Got bikes to get to work, enjoyed it, bought much better bikes, now aiming for 3000 miles this year.

I'm never going to be that 17 year old kid again so I probably enjoy it more now than I ever did.

Tojo

Über Member
Inspired by the tales of all your cycling gap years, and reading about various bikes you guys have owned (and maybe still do own), I ventured down to the shed today and dug out the Raleigh Chopper featured in my own reply earlier in this thread.

Actually quite fired to get to work with the tool kit and see if I can make some headway with restoring this genuine 1972 beauty. Without this thread, it would, scandalously, probably still be in that shed. Still love this bike as much as I did back in the day! View attachment 90032

I wanted a Chopper but my Dad insisted I had a proper bike, as in a road bike which he bought me, he was right as I've never looked back from there' but I would have loved a chopper to rake around the doors on with my mates......never happened....oh well, never mind.....:giggle:

nobbyp

Actually quite fired to get to work with the tool kit and see if I can make some headway with restoring this genuine 1972 beauty. Without this thread, it would, scandalously, probably still be in that shed. Still love this bike as much as I did back in the day! View attachment 90032

Those were the days before the velominati decreed that dork discs had to be removed - I want a chopper style disc on my roadie now and if only I could get a 10 speed handle bar mounted space ship styled gear changer!!!

What's the furthest any kid ever rode on a chopper?

Was it possible to sit on that saddle and ride without waddling like a duck?**

Wil try to add my cycling gap years thing when I have a mo.

** I did sit on a friend's once and ride it a short distance.

bikeman66

I actually thought the Chopper was comfortable enough, but I may be looking at things through rose tinted specs. Anyway, even if it had been like sitting on fence post, the cool factor would have been worth it!

Only slight issue was that if you sat too near the back of the seat (especially when riding uphill) and gave it some beans it was all too easy to pull a sudden and dramatic wheelie and flip yourself right off the back..........not so cool when the girls are watching!

bikeman66

................and I did manage 11 miles on one during the summer holidays from school. Had to ring my mum to come and pick me up though, as I couldn't face the ride home!

Top marks for honesty :smile:

Choppers too expensive for me as a kid, just had a succession of questionable second hand bikes, never remember in all those charmed years fixing a puncture or changing a tube, which is maybe why the second hand way too big for me moulton disappeared from the scene after i blew the tyre and tube doing a deliberate skid. Pity it never stuck around though i have the impression that that particular model may have been a bit of a rust-bucket.

My personal impression of the chopper is that it was a bit barmy/dodgy/crap but top marks to raleigh for trying. And that gear shifter was truly a work of genius barminess.

Zojam

Used to cycle from mid 70s to early 90s when my kids came along then having had a bonemarrow transplant in 2006 i decided in 2011 I better start trying to do some exercise and had 3 bikes made by some old frame builders I hadn't seen for nearly 20 years. Have put on loads of weight due to all the medication I'm on. Going to attempt Chiddingstone on Sunday.

Rode a motley collection of second hand bikes as a kid and not entirely sure that my dad knew much about bikes though he always rode his bike to work - wouldn't take the car to work like so many others did as he didn't trust the ICI dust.

None of them were more advanced than a sturmey archer 3 speed though some friends had mysterious machines with drop bars and more than three gears.

Rode to school with books in a plastic bag over the bars until the day the bag went into the wheel just outside the school in front of a bus - seem to remember someone laughing as I flew through the air and landed on my head and had double vision for a few hours. Mum got me a rack after that. Can't remember when I stopped cycling though it must have been until 18, at least in theory, as my somewhat liberal grammar school allowed you to nominate solo cycling around the country lanes as a sports activity in the sixth form - for me, that consisted of cycling home, jumping in my dad's somewhat wonky vauxhall and driving to a neighbouring town to watch a film.

After that, cycling disappeared, off to london and two vespas, the second one written off in a head on crash.

Then no wheels at all for a while, then two company cars - the second one a nice big red audi that was also written off in a crash. A bit of a pattern emerging maybe, though the audi incident did distinguish itself by managing to have the head-on/ish crash with a policeman (plain car but a convenient radio in his glove box), the intervention of a following ex policewoman, a mysterious helicopter overhead, and a bunch of savage chained dogs.

It seemed to be a good idea to get a bike as I conveniently changed jobs to one without a car. One lunchtime, escaping from the madness of the new job I wandered into a bike shop called wheelie serious (sadly long gone) in covent garden and bought a chromo ridgeback in the sale. When i picked it up the guy in the shop suggested i could ride it home to my house in the suburbs which at the time seemed to me to be madness. Soon after life events meant that a move from london was pending but in the interim I spent a few wonderful weeks cycling all over london using a very early lcc cycling map. Heaven.

Off to Nottingham where I cycled with some impressively fit 70 year olds in the peak district etc. Inspiring.

Since returned to London and despite now having 6 bikes, some quite pricey, some too clever by half, that chromo ridgeback, now pushing 20 years old but suspiciously similar looking to some of Ridgeback's latest touring offerings, is now my favourite bike. Just upgraded it to 8/24 speed - back to the future :smile:

Ciar

Veteran
Started riding as a kid can't remember exactly late 70's early 80's first bike was a raleight strika, then on to BMX and finally MTB rode bikes until the girl i was with at the time changed all that in my late teens, kept my MTB did the london to southen and brighton but didn't really ride like i used to until 3 years ago, got back in the saddle and now commute 4 days out of 5 and regularly MTB.

worst thing i ever did stopping riding and then the best getting back on the bike years later ;-)

Big T

Guru
Happy to say that I don't have any cycling gap years. I started cycling at the age of 14 and never gave it up. I'm now 56 and in my 43rd year of being a regular cyclist. I've ridden around 200,000 miles in that time.

Top Bottom