Your cycling mindset!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doobiesis

Über Member
I've been bimbling along at my own pace for too long and I know I need to up my game and do faster sprints.

I went out with my other half this morning and he was behind me telling me to go faster, go into a harder gear and give it everything I've got.

I knew I had the power in me I've just never pushed myself with everything ive got. It got me thinking about the his mindset and mine, he's only just got hos road bike but always shoots up hills and gives it his all. I give up far too easy and nornally let a hill beat me before I've even gone up it.
How do you guys get in the right frame of mind and push yourself? It is much nicer to cycle with someone as I do a lot of long rides on my own - but I want to have his mindset for when I'm on my own. I'm off work this week and intend to cover a lot of miles some sprints and a couple of biggens- any advice would be more than welcome.

Just enjoy cyling. Though sometimes if I know I'm about to start a course on Map My Ride it does give me more impedance to try and beat other women's and guys times.

nippyanimate.gif

13 rider

Guru
Firstly enjoy riding. Climbing is a mental as a well as physical .just focus on a point up the road next telegraph pole tree etc get to that then focus on next point . if you have to spin in lowest gear so be it. With practice hills do get easier. After six months of riding I am now climbing hills in much higher gears than I used to and therefore bring quicket

puffinbilly

Veteran
Didn't realise you needed one - yet another expensive from cycling - probably pick one up from Aldi.:rolleyes:

Just push yourself with what you're comfortable with - if you want serious athletic sessions on a bike try pushing with everything for 2 mins on and off over three times.......it'll will give you a serious workout.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
I cycle because i enjoy it, some days i fly, some days i mooch but i don't let others determine how my ride is going to be no matter who i am cycling with.

I don't like/enjoys hills however they became a whole lot easier once i got my saddle at the right height. I am 5'4 but to look at my saddle you would think the rider was 5'7.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I've been bimbling along at my own pace for too long and I know I need to up my game and do faster sprints.

I went out with my other half this morning and he was behind me telling me to go faster, go into a harder gear and give it everything I've got.

I knew I had the power in me I've just never pushed myself with everything ive got. It got me thinking about the his mindset and mine, he's only just got hos road bike but always shoots up hills and gives it his all. I give up far too easy and nornally let a hill beat me before I've even gone up it.
How do you guys get in the right frame of mind and push yourself? It is much nicer to cycle with someone as I do a lot of long rides on my own - but I want to have his mindset for when I'm on my own. I'm off work this week and intend to cover a lot of miles some sprints and a couple of biggens- any advice would be more than welcome.

Why? Entering a race where you are likely to end up in a bunch kick?

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Mine probably sounds like la, la, la, la, wheeeeeee, la, la, la, la, ouch, wheeeee, la, la, la, la, wheeeee, la, la, la, la, ouch, wheeeee, la, la, la, la, ouch, la, la, la, la, ouch, wheeee, ouch, wheeeee, ouch, wheeeee, la, la, la, la, wheeeeee...but that's just the way to work...you need to pay me £5 to hear the way home...

vickster

Legendary Member
I thought you are training for London-Surrey 100, no sprinting needed...unless you are also taking up racing?

Strava good, or develop a loop and try to get better times (assuming no traffic conditions to consider etc)

I'm just happy to get out cycling myself :smile:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

There's a lot more to life than giving it full beans on every hill.

Just mix it up if you feel you need to 'improve' - push sometimes, take it easy other times.

Tbh - and because I am not a supercharged racing god with legs like tree trunks and body fat index of about 17-18%; I find that if I stay in the saddle and concentrate on twiddling away in a non knee-popping gear, I get up in about the same time as if I was really going for it. I tried the going for it approach on some long steep-ish climbs year before last and ended up fading away before the summit and had sore knees next day. Got myself a smaller chainring, a bigger cassette, a better technique and, most importantly, happy knees!

Just carry on cycling and enjoy your rides - you'll naturally get fitter/faster along the way.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Doobiesis

Doobiesis

Über Member
I thought you are training for London-Surrey 100, no sprinting needed...unless you are also taking up racing?

Strava good, or develop a loop and try to get better times (assuming no traffic conditions to consider etc)

I'm just happy to get out cycling myself :smile:

I am training for the 100 yeah. But I'm not very fast up hills. If you don't think I need to sprint then I shall carry on doing my bimbling:smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Well it's not a very hilly 100 really, you need to manage about 15mph to beat the broom wagon which shouldn't be too hard on closed roads. Leith is steep but if you can make it up you'll be fine, Box Hill is long and windy but not steep, Wimbledon Hill is a short bitch of a hill, the one that worries me after 90 miles especially with my buggered legs! I've cycled up it a number of times, slowly but never walked, curse it every time, not having to stop for the lights at the bottom will make a big difference in getting a run at it!

Use Strava to track your speeds. If you can manage 12-13mph under normal circumstances, I think you'll be fine. If you are bimbling at 8mph, then yes you need to speed up a bit. Concentrate on the miles rather than the speed

Top Bottom