Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TVC

[QUOTE 4754074, member: 9609"]still havn't seen a swallow yet, saw first sand martin today - pond is full of tadpoles and any amount of bats in the evening.

The hedges seem to have greened up very quickly this year, or am I just imagining it[/QUOTE]
The first swallow in my area has just been reported on facebook, bothering the local canal. I may need to walk down and have a look.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
[QUOTE 4754074, member: 9609"]still havn't seen a swallow yet, saw first sand martin today - pond is full of tadpoles and any amount of bats in the evening.

The hedges seem to have greened up very quickly this year, or am I just imagining it[/QUOTE]

Most people seem to be saying it's a mild spring so you're probably right about the greenery :smile:

MikeG

Guru
Anyone noted a dreadful collapse in frogs spawning this year? I visited over 30 ponds locally before I found a single one with any frogspawn in it a couple of weeks ago. Two local woodland owners confirm that they've heard no frogs in their normally crowded ponds.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Anyone noted a dreadful collapse in frogs spawning this year? I visited over 30 ponds locally before I found a single one with any frogspawn in it a couple of weeks ago. Two local woodland owners confirm that they've heard no frogs in their normally crowded ponds.
Not in my pond, there was quite a bit of frog spawn, but unfortunately one of the frogs has since died.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
A butterfly having a rest

And the Sand Martins are back

WP_20170408_015.jpg

TVC

This morning we visited Bradgate Park, nice and early before the hoards arrived for their picnics and the forna took to hiding.

DSC_0616 (2).JPG

DSC_0620 (2).JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Flick of the Elbow
A couple of hours on the mountain bike this morning prior to settling down to watch Tom Boonen. Spots included nice views of chiff chaff, tree sparrow, stoat, lots of skylarks, and a pair of goldeneye. Goldeneye don't usually breed down here so I'm assuming they are just biding their time before heading north.

The spawn in my pond is always later than others. I've no idea why.

Here's a pic of them.
View attachment 346512
Is that the Lion King bottom right hand corner?

I think it is the reflection of your hand really.

As for your tadpoles they are not too far behind mine. I think the main difference is that yours are feeding on the algae stuff whereas my pond is quite clear and so they are having to go further to find food.

Whilst I was sat in the garden this morning I noticed a Great Tit foraging about in a small bush, it was busy climbing up and down searching for grubs whilst calling out to another one some way off. Every now and then he would drop to the ground and then fly back up again and would start eating something, it was on his second visit to the ground that I saw that he had got a worm and was eating it.

Top Bottom