Your day's wildlife

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Flick of the Elbow, 17 Feb 2015.

Tags:
  1. Flick of the Elbow

Flick of the Elbow Wage Slave

Wondering if there's sufficient interest on here to keep a thread going on what wildlife we've come across during the day, out on the bike, in the garden, from work, whatever.
    Recent encounters for me were a ladybird on Sunday and a sparrowhawk on my way to work yesterday.

2. Supersuperleeds

Supersuperleeds Guru

Saw a badger yesterday on the commute to work

3. Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs Down Under Member

I had a very close encounter with a snake on Monday. As soon as I noticed it, it was too late to stop both my wheels going over it. :sad: I hope it survived the impact, but I admit I didn't hang around to find out.

gbb and the_mikey like this.
  4. ACS

ACS Guru

Couple of deer crossing the road, kestrel hunting at sunset, buzzard on a fence post to lazy to fight the strong winds I suppose.

Aunty Tyke and gbb like this.
  5. Piemaster

Piemaster Guru

A dolphin.
    Bit of a surprise for the lad who was fishing when it popped up.

6. Ffoeg

Ffoeg .

Today's was...

a couple of thousand geese
    a few dozen oystercatchers
    numerous mallards, snipe, redshank and other waders
    a couple of egrets
    4 kestrel

Flick of the Elbow likes this.
  7. Reiver

Reiver Legendary Member Photo Winner

watching three otters playing the other evening, the light was fading so the pictures were crap, but great to watch all the same
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Illaveago, Berties, Roadhump and 21 others like this.
  8. deptfordmarmoset

deptfordmarmoset Full time tea drinker

I saw a pheasant in Deptford today. Apparently it's been there since December and lives by the Ravensbourne river alongside the DLR.

Hill Wimp, theclaud and Glow worm like this.
  9. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

nothing special today just our normal blackbirds in the rear garden 1 of which is very aggressive to other blackbirds !!

oh and the little mouse that spends most of the daylight hours sprinting across the patio

Aunty Tyke likes this.
  10. Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs Down Under Member

I must say it's really pheasant to read about otter people's animal encounters.

11. flatflr

flatflr Über Member

Saw a herd, or whatever you call it of about 30 deer including a buck while running along the Ridgeway on Saturday. Have seen a few on their own before but never this many before.

Aunty Tyke and Dave 123 like this.
  12. Soltydog

Soltydog Guru

Normally see a kestrel or two, a buzzard here & there, but this week so far I have also seen a short eared owl & a kingfisher ^_^
    Damn birds often slow my average speed down, yesterday when I saw the owl I was barely doing walking pace for about half a mile watching it :laugh:

13. Supersuperleeds

Supersuperleeds Guru

I had an owl flying a couple of feet above the ground in front of me for a few hundred yards the other week, was a great sight, times like that I wish I had a bike cam.

Hill Wimp likes this.
  14. welsh dragon

welsh dragon a permanent vacancy now exists

Rabitts, squirrels and various birds like blue tits, bull finches etc

15. Reiver

Reiver Legendary Member Photo Winner

I too have had this before when on the bike, barn owl hunting along the hedgerow just yards away from me, most fantastic sight and something that I have never witnessed whilst on foot, - I wonder if being on the bike confuses them that you are a human and they should keep the distance, I have often heard the same from fishermen, that being in the middle of the river up to your waist with waders on is a great place to observe wildlife, it's as though the birds stop seeing you as a threat.

Roxy641 and Soltydog like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice