Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I was surrounded by a small group of canada geese while working Monday...

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
That's an odd one, isn't it? I shouldn't be able to with the local traffic. I think that I have the gift or the curse of good peripheral vision and hearing. Either that or my senses are very easily distracted. And, as has been noted upthread, birds don't seem to panic when a bike comes along so they give you a fighting chance.

Not quite a wildlife encounter, but me bimbling along a country lane in my bright yellow top, horse and rider coming the other way.

When still a few yards off, said horse takes exception - presumably to me or my bike, and cavorts round in a circle while ride regains control. Stupid animal!
(I waited by the side of the road until the horse went past - rider was very apologetic).

So birds obviously have more sense than horses!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I ride through south Leeds; there's enough 'wildlife' there for most. One of my colleagues was propositioned on my commute - does that count?

Oh, and a rat ran across my path on yesterday's commute.

On ride home from work last night along a quiet country lane I saw the characteristic flap, flap glide; flap, flap glide of a sparrowhawk, hugging the contours of the hedgerow and then it took an almost vertical and dramatic take off over the top of the hedge and was gone. Love it. My favourite bird.

2 buzzards through the garden.
greater spotted woodpecker on the bird feeder and several others knocking on wood
robin which sat and sang to me as I walked within 10 foot of it this morning - if you don't look at them, they tend to carry on rather than fly off
a wren which completely failed to notice me within 6 foot of it, hopping around the dead bracken and brambles presumably looking for insects to eat
nuthatch on my bird fat

Last edited:

Tommy2

Über Member
I saw a dead owl on the grass verge on my run to work yesterday. Not quite as impressive as a live one of course.

Oh a woodpecker swooped in front of me on a run the other day which was nice.

Tommy2

Über Member
There's loads of Red kites round my way so they kind of get a bit boring until you stop to look at one or see one closer than usually then you realise they are wonderful birds.

Tommy2

Über Member
Saw a badger yesterday on the commute to work
How did you know he was on his way to work? :smile:

luckyfox

She's the cats pajamas
Theres always a few bunnies scampering around first thing where I cycle. Later on there's an owl and some foxes on the way home. Lovely to see! :dance:

There's always a few bunnies scampering around first thing where I cycle. Later on there's an owl and some foxes on the way home. Lovely to see! :dance:
We have rabbits in the back garden, until now I've always lived in towns and I thought rabbits were the cute little black and white things that people keep in hutches as pets. I didn't realise that they are these brown/grey spawn of the devil things that turn everything I plant in the garden into expensive rabbit food.

Also had 3 pheasants, a posse, or whatever the collective noun is for partridges, amongst the usual black birds, various tits and finches, green and greater wood peckers, doves and pigeons in the garden and saw 3 red kites and a couple of buzzards and a number of kestrels on the commute to work.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Not quite wildlife......

Midnight, a mystery tabby cat in our hall, eating our cat's food after coming through two cat flaps. Once I chased it away, our own cat bravely came and hissed and growled through the outer catflap at it before hiding behind my legs.

D

Deleted member 23692

4am this morning, Mr Backbird decided it would be a good idea to sit on the guttering above the bedroom window and do a solo dawn chorus.

A wonderful sound and a sure sign that spring is on it's way :smile:

Mrs M

Guru
Two deer on way to work yesterday jumped the wall and and crossed the road just in front of the car. We had slowed right down and one of them stopped on the road and stared at us for a few seconds before jumping away after it's pal.
Saw them again this morning safely in a field away from the road.

Top Bottom