Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
There are always birds to watch at the station while waiting for the train - usually robins, blue tits, blackbirds & woodpigeons. Yesterday there was a song thrush which is always nice to see. From the train this morning I spotted a heron flying over.

One day last week I had to make a detour to check out some redwings in a field nearby. Often I see a kestrel hunting but it's a couple of weeks since I've seen her.

Mrs M

Guru
[QUOTE 3543337, member: 9609"]was over at Eyemouth for 10 minutes this afternoon and was lucky to enjoy the only 10 minutes of sun I have seen all day - spotted this bonny wee Turnstone on the Harbour wall, so annoyed I missed the end of his tail.
turnstone_4833_zpss23wwblr.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Lovely pic

Attachments

• turnstone_4833_zpss23wwblr.jpg
    turnstone_4833_zpss23wwblr.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 54

gbb

Legendary Member
Barn owl in the gloom this morning. My commute is 21 miles by car through the countryside...ive noticed in this last two years how many Buzzards you see, usually sat in a tree at the side of the road.
Barn owls are a regular sight, especially on the edges of Forty Foot drain. Cormorant, little grebe, swans and heron were all seen today...as most days.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Bit of a cheat 'cos it wasn't today, but a couple of weekends ago on Hampstead Heath, I watched a bird fishing. Not a heron...it was black, and the size of, maybe a very big seagull, anyway it was floating on the water, then disappearing under the surface, then popping up 20 or 30 yards away, usually with a fish in its mouth which it quickly swallowed, then dived back under again.

OP
OP
Flick of the Elbow
Bit of a cheat 'cos it wasn't today, but a couple of weekends ago on Hampstead Heath, I watched a bird fishing. Not a heron...it was black, and the size of, maybe a very big seagull, anyway it was floating on the water, then disappearing under the surface, then popping up 20 or 30 yards away, usually with a fish in its mouth which it quickly swallowed, then dived back under again.
Sounds like a cormorant

OP
OP
Flick of the Elbow
Saw my second black headed black headed gull of the year yesterday. First one was 2 weeks ago. Spring on it's way.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3544259, member: 9609"]when you say 'floating on the water' was it very low on the water, unlike a duck that sits on the top of the water was this semi submerged with just the top of its back on view ? If so it is almost certainly a Cormorant, Shags look very similar but you will never get a good shag that far inland.
The Cormorant is the bird that graces the Liver buildings in Liverpool and is the crest on the Liverpool shirt.[/QUOTE]
Yup - low in the water is spot on. A cormorant then. Thanks for that. As someone said, a fair way from the river.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Whilst out walking yesterday in the Peak District spent a wonderful ten minutes watching a dipper in Lathkill Dale, trying to guess where it would surface each time it went into the water. They seem to be getting more common, I've seen a few over the last couple of years in various places.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Whilst out walking yesterday in the Peak District spent a wonderful ten minutes watching a dipper in Lathkill Dale, trying to guess where it would surface each time it went into the water. They seem to be getting more common, I've seen a few over the last couple of years in various places.
I saw my first ever dipper in Lathkill Dale some 30 years ago!

Top Bottom