Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
On my way back on my ride yesterday a Buzzard floated low above me . If I wasn't in a hurry to get back home I would have stopped to watch it as it had landed in a tree near the road .
I tried studying them years ago . Their territory had been increasing slowly over the years . The first time I saw them in this area was down near Keevil on the edge of the plains back in the 80's. By the 90's they had moved into my area but I only saw them way off in the distance.

I was determined to try to track them down . Each morning at a certain time I would see them from our bedroom window starting to soar . I started searching in that area . At this time of year with no leaves on the trees it is easier to spot them , but still difficult as their plumage blends into the trees very well. I found that their favourite trees were oaks . I also discovered what the books mean by saying that they are sedentary. Nailed to a perch more like! They will remain sitting on the end of a branch for hours !

I took my video camera with me and found a place near where they visited and waited for them . Sitting still at the edge of a field for hours it is amazing what wildlife you see . Things just pop up and carry on their daily life and think you are just part of the background .

Eventually the Buzzards turned up and started soaring above a hill near where I was before breaking up and flying off in different directions . I never did quite discover where they were roosting but I suspected that they coming from another farm the other side of a railway embankment . I did discover that the field I had chosen was one of their favourite hunting grounds and that they had 2 favourite trees where they would sit for hours . On looking at my video footage I discovered that they are very agile birds . I was surprised to see that a Buzzard that was being mobbed by a Crow wasn't taking it too lightly. It would flick over onto its back and lash out with its talons .
I have a soft spot for Buzzards now and enjoy seeing them whenever they pop up .

Are Robins building nests already, I got a Robin nest box for Xmas so wonder if I should put it out now?
Put it out as soon as possible, even so it might not get used until next year when they're familiar with it - or not at all if it's not exactly where they like it, or by another sort of bird entirely ... LOL, darned contrary little things!

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Did the birds know they were being counted last week ?
This morning despite the wind and rain we have had 6 Chaffinches and 8 Goldfinches . We hardly had anything last week .
They have a lot of gardens to visit on count weekend. They can't always get to everyone :laugh::laugh:

Damn! i just posted this pic on a wildlife site and an expert said its a female,,,,,,even though it has a grey back. Im back to the drawing board on sexing these birds! :rolleyes:
I have rarely seen a male Sparrowhawk . A female often visits our garden or can be seen flying around the area . I think one might have been responsible for a lot of Wood Pigeon feathers on our garden path .

Chief Broom

Veteran
A final word from me on sexing Sparrow hawks...unless ive got it wrong again of course! :laugh: Some bird guides say the male has a grey back and the female's brown.....this aint right and what led me to being confused.
What i know for sure is 1. the female is larger than the male 2. has greyish chest barring 3. Grey predominates
The male is smaller and has brownish chest barring and brown predominates.

Female

Male

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
While bringing the bins in this morning I heard a commotion above and was surprised to see a flock (apparently a "wake") of ten buzzards circling around over the housing estate. Never seen them in groups of more than two before. I thought they might have been red kites because of the number of them, but got a really good clear look at them and the tails and wing feathers were all wrong. Almost certainly buzzards. A fine sight.

Last edited:
Top Bottom