Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
peek a boo, I see you. or rather you see our infrared light
1710530191788.png

ok bye bye
1710530248317.png

GetFatty

Über Member
Every year a couple of Canada geese return to a pond I pass in my daily walk. This year they have brought back what i think are two of last year‘s offspring.

1710531175863.jpeg

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Heads up anyone in UK wanting a trailcam - Naturespy are offering 10% off already competitive prices. Came at a convenient time for me as mine has packed in with a blank screen, just a few weeks after warranty expired! :cursing: Enter "BIRTHDAY10" at checkout. Offer expires 20th March!
https://shop.naturespy.org/collections/camera-traps?page=3

Oh, and thank you very much I don't think to Microsoft for disabling the simple and intuitive video editing in the Photos app to make us use their Clip Champ software, which as far as I can see requires uploading videos, thus needing a broadband connection and allowing them access.

On the wildlife front, I was half expecting to have no frogspawn in the pond this year, after years of decline. Great to see at least seven nine clumps!

Edit: two new clumps of spawn this morning.

Last edited:

Poacher

Pair of Mallard have just turned up to fulfil their annual contract for ridding the pond of duckweed.
They'll probably return on quite a few more days before they depart for nesting purposes, as our garden provides respite from unwanted attention of jealous drakes on almost any nearby waterway. Both pics taken through rain-streaked kitchen window, first rather out of focus.
Should have gone outside, really, as they're very tolerant of our presence. Hope they don't eat the frogspawn!
P1010228.JPG

P1010227.JPG

Pair of Mallard have just turned up to fulfil their annual contract for ridding the pond of duckweed.
They'll probably return on quite a few more days before they depart for nesting purposes, as our garden provides respite from unwanted attention of jealous drakes on almost any nearby waterway. Both pics taken through rain-streaked kitchen window, first rather out of focus.
Should have gone outside, really, as they're very tolerant of our presence. Hope they don't eat the frogspawn!
View attachment 725421

View attachment 725422

your yard? think they will nest & make little ducks there? that would be safe for them, no?

Poacher

your yard? think they will nest & make little ducks there? that would be safe for them, no?

It's a peaceful haven during daylight, but at night the local fox(es) would make short work of them. She'd be a sitting duck.

As a footnote, our neighbour from over the road rang our doorbell last May or June and said "I've just seen a duck walk down the side of your house and under the back gate, with six or seven little ducklings following her!" He was astonished when I blithely replied, that she'd been a frequent visitor, along with her mate, and had obviously made a mental note of the location. Privately, I was just as astonished; she'd only flown in previously, but had just walked dog knows how far along busy footpaths and possibly across several roads from wherever she'd nested, with her trusting brood following her, back to her safe space. They only stayed a couple of hours before moving on.

Gillstay

Über Member

Nope, it would be his garden. :okay: A yard in England is often paved and on the back of a terrace house.

I can recall wandering into USA gardens and not finding a yard area. :whistle: Despite my boss saying it was in the yard.

Gillstay

Über Member
It's a peaceful haven during daylight, but at night the local fox(es) would make short work of them. She'd be a sitting duck.

As a footnote, our neighbour from over the road rang our doorbell last May or June and said "I've just seen a duck walk down the side of your house and under the back gate, with six or seven little ducklings following her!" He was astonished when I blithely replied, that she'd been a frequent visitor, along with her mate, and had obviously made a mental note of the location. Privately, I was just as astonished; she'd only flown in previously, but had just walked dog knows how far along busy footpaths and possibly across several roads from wherever she'd nested, with her trusting brood following her, back to her safe space. They only stayed a couple of hours before moving on.

There is one at Worcester Uni that nest in a courtyard which the only exit is electric doors. She turns up and waits till the maint staff keep them open enough for them all to go through. Done it for several years.

Top Bottom