Your dream tour.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Dayvo said:
Sweden and Norway, in the summer months. :blush:

I fancy that one day but is the weather so different, it being even further North and mountainous?

IJCymru

Well for me it would be a circumnavigation of the world but individual country wise I would like to cycle across USA, Canada, Japan, Russia, Argentina, New Zealand and Madagascar. One day I would like to do all these and I don't think its too unrealistic

Slowgrind

Pacific Coast Highway for me. I`ve been lucky enough to drive most of it and would love to cycle North to South. One day?

mcfcbird

dragon72 said:
No hills!?!? AAAAAAARGH NO!

I've toured in Holland and the Alps and Pyrenees. Give me the hills every time. In flat places all you see is sky, and when you stop pedalling, the bike grinds to a halt!

I'll second that, not to mention the lack of wind shelter in Holland, the headwinds can be horrendous :evil:

Me? I'd like to to a TransAm. I also fancy New Zealand.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I fancied New Zealand, but I hear helmets are compulsory there - a major turnoff.

We have fairly firm plans to do Trans Am, and all the ABA maps. I suspect there will be seriously boring bits.

I fancy North Cape to Gib, too. Getting to the North Cape might be pricey, and I suspect Scandinavia and central France may have some dull bits.

Mrs Uncle Phil's parents live near Cape Town, so Yorkish to Cape Town is under consideration. Off-putting factors include that two accounts on CrazyGuy are from people that got to central Africa and got bored and gave up. We also have experience of the amount of hussling a white face gets in parts of Africa - you just can't get away from it and we find it hard to deal with.

A tour up the west coast of Scotland, returning by island hopping down the Hebrides would be nice, if midges can be avoided.

Anyone care to advise on the off-putting factors I mention?

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Our recent mini-tour of the Western Cape was pretty dreamy, if a little hot. Re-running it in extended form at a cooler time of year would be fantastic.

Look out for an account of it somewhere soon (possibly in print). I'll let you know.

Tony

Hmmmmm. My dreams? Money and time no object?
Trans-am, North AND South tiers, linked by Pacific Coast.
Around Australia......I was sooooooo tempted by that roadsign "Adelaide 1986" that I just wanted to keep going, but hadn't enough time.
IF politics were no issue, HK to Singapore.

I concur with the comments about Dutch (and Saxon) headwinds, and also with the comments about Summer in Scandinavia. Temperatures last Summer were in the 30s (air) and 25 (sea). Once North of, say, Sundsval I've found it gets steadily cooler, though.

ChrisCrc

I have been all over France,Austria,Germany,Luxembourg and some Switzerland over the years and can recommend these countries as being the most friendly and very geared up for Cyclists of all types. Next year i am going back and doing a long 6 month tour starting from Holland and probably following the path of the River Rhine. The scenery just blows your mind.

I cant wait:laugh:

Pottsy

Firstly, great idea for a thread.

I'm seriously considering a long break and cycling touring, commencing this summer, and I'm getting some (more) ideas here. However it's making it even more difficult to make a decision due to an excess of inspiration!

In some ways I think just leaving home with a vague plan and seeing how it goes might work, though this applies to European based tours only of course. I like the Rhine idea at the moment.

Anyway, no point to make here other than keep the ideas coming. ;)

Bodhbh

Guru
Pretty conservative, but I think a full man-sized summer (March/April to Oct) in Europe with enough money to live well when required would suit me. Routewise something like Cadiz in Spain, somehow up NE-ish to Helsinki/St Petersburg and either up or down after that depending time of year, inclination. tbh *just* having a proper punt at living on the road for several months is enough, sure you find some value in wherever you go.

Top Bottom