Your favourite childhood toys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Did anyone have the action man hang glider and actually get it to work?

No, had the parachute

EltonFrog

Legendary Member

stephec

Legendary Member
No, had the parachute

I had that as well, throw it out of the bedroom window, watch it drop, if it opened properly, run downstairs and out the front door to collect it, then back upstairs to repeat.

I soon got bored of that and took it to an open field to try and sling it straight up, but only being eight years old it didn't get very high.

My dad bought me a Major Matt Mason for my 8th birthday in 1968.

rawImage.jpg

https://corporate.mattel.com/brand-portfolio/major-matt-mason

For the following Christmas I got the 'baddie' on the left.

View attachment 713253

Those trousers look DAMN uncomfortable!!

When I was very small, a wooden toy tool bench with associated tools and pegs that you could hammer into the top, a purple and orange plastic trike thing and a ride-on double decker bus. I also had a pedal car in the shape of a 1960s F1 car, but I was bloody terrified of it. Of course, now, I can only get one leg in it, which isn't really much use! I also had a ragdoll which I was gifted by a family friend that I absolutely loved. All the other dolls I was given I largely ignored, and they were shoved up on the loft still in their boxes.

I was gifted a Mothercare teddy bear for my 7th birthday. I still have Derek Bear; he's a bit well-loved now, but I can't part with him. Derek Bear got his name after I watched the '82 British GP on telly.

Loads of dinky and corgi cars, mostly second hand. I did buy a few new with my pocket money. Again, I still have most of those. I've always messed around with cars. One particular favourite was a large bright green Tonka car that looked a lot like a Datsun Cherry.

A bit older still, and then it was things like Playmobil. I never had Lego, I wasn't allowed for reasons unknown to me - too expensive, I suspect. I did have a brief fascination with Barbie, but that was mainly because most of my classmates had them too. Trouble was, I ended up sewing racing driver overalls or musketeer costumes for mine from fabric scraps. Was always doing things with fabric, as dad ran an upholstery workshop, and there were always offcuts knocking around. I also had a vintage (secondhand) garden set that you could set up on a table or large tray with a lawn and flowers and a pergola and the like, and mess around with miniature garden tools. Odd that, because I'm really not much of a gardener...

I did get a microscope and the associated gubbins, and I did have hours of fun with that. Oddly, I despised biology as a subject at school, and dropped it as soon as I was able.

Art materials were always a hit - and still are. And books. I had, and still have, a LOT of books.

Toys I hated... Most dolls, one of those hair styling doll's head things, embroidery kits

Toys my classmates had that I envied: handheld games like Donkey Kong and Simon, assorted rubix puzzle stuff

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I had that as well, throw it out of the bedroom window, watch it drop, if it opened properly, run downstairs and out the front door to collect it, then back upstairs to repeat.

I soon got bored of that and took it to an open field to try and sling it straight up, but only being eight years old it didn't get very high.
I found those cheapo ones you'd buy from the local newsagent fairly good at floating, not just dropping down. They'd probably cost about 50p to £1 these days and were made from a simple foldable, plastic sheet parachute, about 8 inch square, with strings attached to a plastic soldier. Like you I'd drop them out the bedroom window, run downstairs, then back up to repeat many times. It was a simple pleasure and good exercise as well.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Top Bottom