Your favourite childhood toys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
A crawling 'tank' that we made from a wooden cotton reel, a pencil, a rubber band, a section of candle and a matchstick.
Had hours of fun with them.
Anyone else remember them?

At primary school there seemed to be a season for all sorts of things which everybody had from bools to peeries depending on season.
One of the things which had a time was the “ tank “ you mention and everybody had them till the next fashion came along.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
I built all sorts of household-disrupting gadgets with this, including an intercom.

philipsee8.jpg

Punkawallah

Über Member
Airfix plastic kits were the first kits where you learnt to read instructions and how to assemble things . This then progressed onto balsa wood kits like Keilkraft and Veron where you were more involved in actually making of the parts which would hopefully fly afterwards. I can remember that I wasn't very successful in making my Keilkraft Stuka . After spending hours making and painting it it didn't fly very well. It would flip over onto it's back and crash without any visual forward movement!

Did Kielkraft charge you extra for the ‘realistic diving action’?
”Bally Jerry, did a whoopsie, dickie birdied, in the Briny”. :-)

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I had Lego and Playmobile, Starcom and MASK, etc, as well as what I've said below, but my real favourites, certainly when younger were the small things, like Hopper Poppers, Wiggle Giggles, those plastic articulated snakes that you held by the tail and were able to control the movement of (or not sometimes) as well as toy cars, boats and planes.

I also had my teddies and loved them all dearly, but... Erm... I used to play with my sister's dolls too and eventually got her old cabbage patch one, which she was never very happy about, but she was older and had outgrown it anyway 😆
I just saw it as a teddy but in the form of a person.

Hi,
I'm just watching Britain's Favourite Toys on Channel 5.
I got quite nostalgic thinking about my favourite toys when I was a kid.
Back in the early 70s I had a plastic pedal tractor.I was besotted with this tractor and would spend all day playing on it.The summer holidays were spent going like the clappers around the block on it.I remember my legs aching like hell at night after playing on it.Sadly one day some kids stole it whilst I was having my tea.I left it in the garden for probably 20 minutes to find it gone and when I came back out.I remember me and my mum going out to see if we could find it, eventually we came across these kids smashing it up by hammering it up against some railings the opposite side a the playing fields.By the time my mum got to them they had scarpered leaving my lovely tractor smashed up..I was absolutely devastated when I saw it.Money was tight and mum and dad couldn't afford to replace it, but my dad did his best to fix it up.
After he did his magic on fixing it up It was business as usual racing around the block.Eventually I out grew it and the plastic wheels wore out leaving it useless.We lived in a very rough area at the time, but the hours and pleasure I had bombing around on that tractor will be with me for ever.
Gone on spill the beans and tell me all about your favourite toys.

I had a little red tractor and cart which I absolutely LOVED too! I went all over on it.

One day, it disappeared, my parents had got rid (as they did with a lot of things). I must have outgrown it to be fair, but I was still devastated when I realised it was gone.

We also had a space hopper, you know, the orange ones with the little face and horns.
I remember 'marrying' it when I was about 5 with my then best friend being the minister and then pretending to take pictures! 😆

A pack of balsa wood sheets/blocks. Used to spend many a happy hour cobbling together various flying machines, finding out which worked and which didn’t, reproducing historical types. My proudest effort was the He162.

I just loved the small polystyrene planes and I must have gone through quite a number of them!

+1 for Meccano
In our early teens my brother and I shared a Hornby Dublo train set.

Railway modeller here, but by my time, it was the '80s' and '90s', so my collection was mainly (the more modern) Hornby and Lima diesels and electrics.
That said, I do have a Dublo Co - Bo somewhere and Mallard in BR Green.

I can't believe I forgot about my Hornby.

For those of a certain age, around the late seventies Hornby made a plastic baseboard approximately 5 x 3 that was vac formed in three pieces that clipped together, allowing a double track loop with sidings to be built.

I had a steam train of unknown class, but I know it was a 4-6-0, painted in LNER green with a couple of coaches, and on the other track was a HST, I wasn't too concerned with historical accuracy. 😂

4 - 6 - 0... That sounds like a B12 or whatever.
As for historical accuracy, I just pretended the steam locos I did have were preserved and were doing tours and things.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
A few years later after my original post we moved away to a quiet village.It was back in the early 80s and there seemed to be a local "craze" going on in the village of summer 82.
Everybody seemed to be enjoying flying kites down on the local playing field.It wasn't just kids either but there was many adults there too.At it height the must of been about 20/30 kites flying around on a weekend day..Oh course I had to join in with a cheap kite from the local shop ,but I was always envious of my best friends kite.
He had an original Peter Powell stunt kite which was relatively rare.The thing was huge and dwarfed everything else being flown.As we were young it was quite a handful to hold on to when the wind got up.. Nowadays you never see kids out there flying kites sadly, except down on the beach.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
I had a Dalek suit, and used to roam around the street shouting "Exterminate!". Before you ask , yes that is a sink plunger and a broom handle. I also don't think you were supposed to be able to see my feet, but apparently they didn't do them in size XXL back in 1965.

View attachment 713160
Brilliant picture

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Mine is still in its box - along witha lumber wagon

The wagon is in perfect condition

I do get the traction engine running every now and again

not at all sure how safe that is but "what could possibly go wrong"

should use it to teach the kids about history and engineering - but I'm not sure
a) they would be suitably impressed
b) not sure how safe it is - they are good and not being silly with hot thing - but what if it explodes!!

I’d rather not remember what happened to mine in the end :cry:

presta

Guru
The bike
Meccano
Lego
Model railway
Scalextric
Minic

Not long after the model railway graduated to a 12' x 6' layout in the loft my interest in these waned a bit (bar the bike, possibly) when I got interested in electronics instead. I've still got the Meccano.

I got one of these steam traction engines (Mamod TE1A) for Christmas 1967.
It wasn't until I was in my 30s that I built this down at the local college:
1699806912393.png

I nearly got into steam engines about a decade earlier when I was going out with a lass whose father built them, but then never got round to it.
I spent many hours building forts and houses
I used to build tree houses in our greengage tree.

Top Bottom