Your favourite/recomended spoons?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
11_13_55_web.jpg

markemark

Über Member
Confused me for a while as I know both of the Bury ones - very different but both have their merits.
But seems you mean Bury St Edmunds - does indeed look like a fine place.
Tho have the idea it might not be too handy if with a loaded bike.
Yes that’s the one. Lovely building, both inside and out. But I prefer supporting the independents more though some are a bike ride away.

Venod

Eh up
I think I cycled loaded past that a while ago - didn't stop as didn't look too handy for the bike. On two trips recently used the Stick or Twist and Cuthbert Broderick - both very good outside space with an easy hop inside to the bar with clear sight of bike. Both good beer and nice staff. Latter one surrounded by some nice old buildings.

Sometimes the modern ones with somewhat bland exteriors are actually very handy - lots of glass - clear views of parked bike.

I just realised its not the Hedley Verity, I don't know how that popped into my head as I have never been in there, its the Cuthbert Broderick we use a lot, the Stick and Twist we sometimes visit, and also The Bank, which is a very busy pub and the last time we visited the Ruddles was terrible.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
I just realised its not the Hedley Verity, I don't know how that popped into my head as I have never been in there, its the Cuthbert Broderick we use a lot, the Stick and Twist we sometimes visit, and also The Bank, which is a very busy pub and the last time we visited the Ruddles was terrible.
ah :smile:
yep Cuthbert Broderick very good if with bike - nice outdoor space in a nice setting. Had a very nice pint of something seriously strong and very local when in there (can't remember what - was dark/black) - agreed with the barman that since I had a long ride ahead I probably shouldn't have a second.
I'd stay off the Ruddles - better choices in most spoons - was once somewhat revered as I recall but that was in a time when beer choices were very limited/poor. Shows how bad things once were IMHO.

Venod

Eh up
I'd stay off the Ruddles - better choices in most spoons - was once somewhat revered as I recall but that was in a time when beer choices were very limited/poor. Shows how bad things once were IMHO.

I do usually avoid Ruddle's as its very hit and miss, it can be a decent pint but its not consistent, my mate likes it, especially as its 99p a pint in our local spoons.
A good fall back in Spoons if there is no decent hand pulled was John Smiths and a popular choice here in Yorkshire, but they have replaced it with Worthingtons. :sad:

OP
OP
Blue Hills
I do usually avoid Ruddle's as its very hit and miss, it can be a decent pint but its not consistent, my mate likes it, especially as its 99p a pint in our local spoons.
A good fall back in Spoons if there is no decent hand pulled was John Smiths and a popular choice here in Yorkshire, but they have replaced it with Worthingtons. :sad:
agree about it being a fallback - particularly if you fancy something weaker - but hell John Smiths is getting really desperate IMHO - I'd just pass at that point, walk out - or maybe go for a Guinness - rare that I have to do that but I had to in one of the Chester ones recently. Then pedalled to the far plainer one across town for something very nice.

Last edited:

Adam4868

Guru
Rumour has it that when the refurb of parliament goes ahead the whole estate will be reviewed and No10 converted to a Weatherspoons - it's being used as one already. :laugh:
Chinese whispers....

Dave7

Legendary Member
Joining a bit late but when I used to work away I enjoyed Spoons. Decent beer, decent food, decent price..
Re' Ruddles..... a good pint IF its kept well. Sadly thats not always the case.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It certainly is! I had breakfast in there this morning with my family. The building is very impressive. There is also a very large sun-trap beer garden looking down over the city.
I had breakfast in a Salisbury Spoons last weekend. The world's smallest egg, rather overdone, the cheapest bacon, soggy hash browns, cheap beans, and a just-about acceptable sausage. Though I have to say that the hotel was okay, and very helpful in securely storing our filthy bikes.

I take it you haven't come down to ride Sarah's 200?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I take it you haven't come down to ride Sarah's 200?
Ha ha - NO! I am VERY unfit at the moment, hardly having ridden my bike since Christmas. I did 27 km round the lanes a couple of days ago and will repeat that loop shortly. The rest of the trip has been taken up with family gatherings.

I just downloaded my pictures of the pub...

(I must learn how to engage the ultrawide setting on my phone camera - even from the back of the car park I couldn't get all of the buildings in.)

(Just one of the rooms.)

(Beer garden looking down towards Exeter St David's station.)

Top Bottom