Your favourite/recomended spoons?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Ha ha - NO! I am VERY unfit at the moment, hardly having ridden my bike since Christmas. I did 27 km round the lanes a couple of days ago and will repeat that loop shortly. The rest of the trip has been taken up with family gatherings.

I just downloaded my pictures of the pub...

View attachment 633000

(I must learn how to engage the ultrawide setting on my phone camera - even from the back of the car park I couldn't get all of the buildings in.)

View attachment 633002

(Just one of the rooms.)

View attachment 633001

(Beer garden looking down towards Exeter St David's station.)
Yup. The architecture is the best thing about it. The Wheelers used to meet in one of the rooms for a while, but some members objected to giving Mr Martin money.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Another former cinema - The Palladium in Llandudno. Can’t help but be impressed.
Agree the building is excellent

Glossop spoons isn't in such an impressive building but it's actually a nice place, very popular with families. Doesn't seem to attract the dodgier clientele you get in some spoons.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Ha ha - NO! I am VERY unfit at the moment, hardly having ridden my bike since Christmas. I did 27 km round the lanes a couple of days ago and will repeat that loop shortly. The rest of the trip has been taken up with family gatherings.

I just downloaded my pictures of the pub...

View attachment 633000

(I must learn how to engage the ultrawide setting on my phone camera - even from the back of the car park I couldn't get all of the buildings in.)

View attachment 633002

(Just one of the rooms.)

View attachment 633001

(Beer garden looking down towards Exeter St David's station.)
thanks for that colin - looks glorious - it's gone on my list. Curious building - had seen pics of the interior before but didn't imagine the front looked like that - very different styles?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
thanks for that colin - looks glorious - it's gone on my list. Curious building - had seen pics of the interior before but didn't imagine the front looked like that - very different styles?
I would say that it had extra buildings added after the original one was built. The styles are different.

One of the rooms has a large projector screen so I imagine that major sports events are shown on that, probably with large crowds on those evenings. I would avoid those times!

OP
OP
Blue Hills
One of the rooms has a large projector screen so I imagine that major sports events are shown on that, probably with large crowds on those evenings. I would avoid those times!
not necessarily - I'm very much a part time footie fan (now and again take an interest when England surprisingly make the advanced stages of something) - my local has a massive open space at the front (ex cinema with seats gone) - have fond memories of a ram-packed England match there - great big heaving pit of humanity - hardly possible to get to bar - never been anywhere like that since I pretty much gave up on gigs - I seem to recall that England were playing Germany - they very definitely lost the match on penalties - still not a bit of trouble. All very good humoured.

ColinJ

not necessarily - I'm very much a part time footie fan (now and again take an interest when England surprisingly make the advanced stages of something) - my local has a massive open space at the front (ex cinema with seats gone) - have fond memories of a ram-packed England match there - great big heaving pit of humanity - hardly possible to get to bar - never been anywhere like that since I pretty much gave up on gigs - I seem to recall that England were playing Germany - they very definitely lost the match on penalties - still not a bit of trouble. All very good humoured.
Well, time your visit to coincide with England's next World Cup final then! :okay:

(I enjoyed the World Cup in 1966 but lost interest in football after that.)

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Well, time your visit to coincide with England's next World Cup final then! :okay:

(I enjoyed the World Cup in 1966 but lost interest in football after that.)
i wasn't really conscious in 66 - may have been riding a bike though on the day.
My main interest in football faded as a result of following Blackburn Rovers - after my departure from their fanboy club I think they became rather more successful.
I'd still recommend taking part in the good humoured socially diversified support of the national 11 though - particularly if good quality beer involved.

ColinJ

I'd still recommend taking part in the good humoured socially diversified support of the national 11 though - particularly if good quality beer involved.
My alcohol-imbibing days are over - I can't do moderation, and my body (and wallet) can't handle excess! :laugh:

bagpuss

Guru
The Standing order in Derby is pretty good . As the name suggests it is an old bank ,a Nat West if I remember right . As the name suggests it is an old bank ,a Nat West if I remember right . Lovely old banking hall with high ceilings . Not much has been changed , it still takes your
1645990975599.png
money ,only that now you pee it down the drain without any interest .

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I would say that it had extra buildings added after the original one was built. The styles are different.

The orangery was imported from elsewhere, though I can't remember the details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
@Blue Hills have you been in the Weatherspoons in Accrington by any chance? :whistle: ;) Seriously though, I passed the other day and saw a sign in the window advertising coffee at 99 pence and as many top ups as you like.:ohmy: I don't think the 'winos paradise' Broadway pub can compete with this, not to mention the 'spoons' 99p pints of beer!:rolleyes: Any thoughts?🤔

OP
OP
Blue Hills
@Blue Hills have you been in the Weatherspoons in Accrington by any chance? :whistle: ;) Seriously though, I passed the other day and saw a sign in the window advertising coffee at 99 pence and as many top ups as you like.:ohmy: I don't think the 'winos paradise' Broadway pub can compete with this, not to mention the 'spoons' 99p pints of beer!:rolleyes: Any thoughts?🤔
have mentioned before that I have been in it - I get around. Maybe 2 or 3 times altogether. Not exactly one of my favourites, but if there's a good beer on ....

the drink as much coffee etc as you can deal has been going for years - I quite often see folks deep in work or something on laptops in my local tapping away through the coffees - perhaps the next Harry Potter will emerge from it.

The coffee is pretty decent - Lavazza last time I checked - and since you can drink as much as you want and it's self service there's nothing to stop you pouring yourself a double or even triple espresso. Espresso's my thing - am a coffee head.

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Today while in the shop I work in a woman came and and told me that at about 1pm two women were seen slugging it out for about 10 whole minutes, outside Wetherspoons in Accrington. One had a bloodied nose, the other had a cut on the head. It eventually ended when a car pulled up, the driver got out and shoved one of the 'ladies' in the back of the car. There was me thinking about calling in one day for a half and maybe a snack. I don't think I'll be bothering after that!🧐

Top Bottom