Your favourite type of midweek training ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glover Fan

Hi,

As the nights are rapidly drawing in and next weekend the clock go back, I have been doing some hill training in order to get as best a workout in a short time as possible. That and I have the Dartmoor Devil to do next weekend. I'm actually starting to find hill training sessions are my most favourite. Whilst it is nice after work in the summer to do 30-40 miles in the evening sunshine. I do find I start to get bored with the same routes over and over again, no matter how many times I reverse a route of find alternative routes. The sight of the Severn Bridge has got tedious.

All I do in my training rides is do a 5 mile loop with some sharp climbs and just keep doing the loops over and over again. Funnily enough you don't get bored of the scenery when all you are looking at is the tarmac 10 feet ahead of you!

Managed to squeeze in 2 hours worth before the sun went down tonight, Only managed 24 miles, but I like to think of them as 24 high quality miles. On my usual 30 mile training routes I can get round in 1 hour 30, without really breaking a sweat, but is it really that beneficial?

It's just a shame that in 2 weeks time i'll have to train in the dark. :sad:

Jon.

P.S Mods, I did think about putting this thread in the fitness and training section, but I think it covers more than that and is rather general. :smile:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
The one that involves the pub

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
like no hills, time for a mid week training ride... Does not compute :smile:

Commuting is all i get time for in the week and the weekend is 50/50 chance.

I really should be out on our club training one just now but I can't be bothered :blush: , I'm becoming a fair weather cyclist :sad: The club tends to do short 3 miles loops just now when light isn't good but I think I prefer it when it is dark but light doesn't really matter. I like the faster & hillier run at our club better, I manage that better than the flat ride and the constant chain gang so its my favourite midweek training ride.

Fifelad

Veteran
I really should be out on our club training one just now but I can't be bothered :blush: , I'm becoming a fair weather cyclist :sad: The club tends to do short 3 miles loops just now when light isn't good but I think I prefer it when it is dark but light doesn't really matter. I like the faster & hillier run at our club better, I manage that better than the flat ride and the constant chain gang so its my favourite midweek training ride.

Would that be the one up the New Row, Comely Bank or down the Dockyard per chance ? not had a chance to partake due to work :whistle:

Would that be the one up the New Row, Comely Bank or down the Dockyard per chance ? not had a chance to partake due to work :whistle:

Its laps of Duloch on a Thursday night. Starting at the Crem, 7pm ish, if you want to come along.

Hi,

As the nights are rapidly drawing in and next weekend the clock go back, I have been doing some hill training in order to get as best a workout in a short time as possible. That and I have the Dartmoor Devil to do next weekend. I'm actually starting to find hill training sessions are my most favourite. Whilst it is nice after work in the summer to do 30-40 miles in the evening sunshine. I do find I start to get bored with the same routes over and over again, no matter how many times I reverse a route of find alternative routes. The sight of the Severn Bridge has got tedious.

All I do in my training rides is do a 5 mile loop with some sharp climbs and just keep doing the loops over and over again. Funnily enough you don't get bored of the scenery when all you are looking at is the tarmac 10 feet ahead of you!

Managed to squeeze in 2 hours worth before the sun went down tonight, Only managed 24 miles, but I like to think of them as 24 high quality miles. On my usual 30 mile training routes I can get round in 1 hour 30, without really breaking a sweat, but is it really that beneficial?

It's just a shame that in 2 weeks time i'll have to train in the dark. :sad:

Jon.

P.S Mods, I did think about putting this thread in the fitness and training section, but I think it covers more than that and is rather general. :smile:

Why dont you try and do your 30 mile training route in 1 hour 25 ?
I can understand the appeal of the hilly circuit to test yourself physically - do it myself , my feelings of physical invincibility are usually in tatters by the end of the first climb.

Top Bottom